In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stuffed Bell Peppers are Delicious

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
Labor intensive, but I try to have them once a week. Jasmine rice from Thailand, organic grass fed ground beef, Lea & Perrins from the UK (the ingredients ARE different), and the most beautiful green peppers you ever saw.

I was actually in the store to get sweet tea and milk and saw the green grocer guy putting out the peppers. THEY WERE SIX INCHES TALL! No labels, but he told me they were US grown albeit not local.

Prep takes me about 45 minutes as I parboil the peppers, usually three, then the oven for an hour or so to melt the cheese (Sharp cheddar and provolone) One for dinner, and a couple for lunch and maybe dinner again.

Tried something different today I've never done before. Cut up some spicy kimchi, about half a pint, and put in the beef.

I saved the seeds from the six inch bells. Those I will plant this spring. There were two females and one male.[:)]

Comments

• Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .....the Mrs. makes the best "Stuffed Peppers"....no recipe,but excellent table fare....we use cheap meat and rice!...just kiddin...venison makes a wonderful stuffing...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just pulled them out of the oven and man they are good. The parboiling makes the bells butter soft.
    The kimchi in them is delicious and adds just a little heat, but a nice flavor.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was very small Mrs Pellegrino across the street made the best stuffed peppers. My Mom always tried to make them with her recipe, but it was not the same. They are some of my favorites!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    When I was very small Mrs Pellegrino across the street made the best stuffed peppers. My Mom always tried to make them with her recipe, but it was not the same. They are some of my favorites!!

Share the wealth! I like to try exotic recipes, especially Italian. Pass it on if you've got it, I'll give a spin.
    I've already got the provolone. [8D]

You know old ladies NEVER gave all the ingredients to a recipe. They kept one out for their signatrue.
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Today for lunch, first real meal of the day, I ate two peppers and half a pound of hummus. A red and a green. Yep, peppers get heavy rotation here. I can clean and slice one in under 90 seconds, including cleanup. Takes longer to wash them, nearly.

A fitting meal after yesterday's two Big Macs sans middle roll then ? pound turkey breast on toast with lots of mayo. Yep, the half-pounder open face dinner with junk food appetizer.

Our peppers are barely four inches tall right now.

Growing up great grandmother made stuffed cabbage as well as stuffed peppers. sort of tart to get a 7 year old interested ...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sperry
    Today for lunch, first real meal of the day, I ate two peppers and half a pound of hummus. A red and a green. Yep, peppers get heavy rotation here. I can clean and slice one in under 90 seconds, including cleanup. Takes longer to wash them, nearly.

A fitting meal after yesterday's two Big Macs sans middle roll then ? pound turkey breast on toast with lots of mayo. Yep, the half-pounder open face dinner with junk food appetizer.

Our peppers are barely four inches tall right now.

Growing up great grandmother made stuffed cabbage as well as stuffed peppers. sort of tart to get a 7 year old interested ...

Now you got me jonesing for stuffed cabbage rolls. I haven't had them in a couple of years.
    This weekend!

Lay off the Big Macs. The meat is tasteless and the fries are bitter. I quit even getting my dogs Micky D's cheeseburgers.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

You know old ladies NEVER gave all the ingredients to a recipe. They kept one out for their signatrue.
    My mother was BAD about doing that & she got a kick out of doing it too [:D]......I'll give her credit though, she taught my wife how to cook just like herself and that I appreciated very much [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,074 ******
    edited November -1
    [:p][:p][:p][:p]
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Try roasting the "peppers" to loosen the skin, then peel and stuff.
    The roasting brings out whatever flavor is left in those hothouse veggies, and ya won't get heartburn from trying to digest the cigarette wrapper-like skin.
    We used to roast, peel & bake 'em inside a big Vidalia, and make rings out of the middles.
    We used shrimp, carnitas, mincemeat, crabmeat, shredded chicken, veal/pork meatballs, lenguas (beef tongue), or smoked ham in ours; try chorizo, andouille, Jimmy Dean's, or bacon crumbles over the rice for breakfast stuffers.
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    quote:Originally posted by Sperry

Now you got me jonesing for stuffed cabbage rolls. I haven't had them in a couple of years.
    This weekend!

I was six or seven ... never developed a liking. But the old men around the table, they sure could polish off that food. But now I like cabbage.

McD's? Yes, it is bad for you. I nearly never buy fries. The burgers, maybe once or twice a month.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't eat them often enough to suit my druthers!

Good Morning World!
    What's next?
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,416 ******
    edited November -1
    For some reason or other I never could stand the taste of stuffed green bell peppers. It was the pepper itself as I used to just eat the stuffing mix and leave the shriveled green gunk on my plate.[:I] I kept trying them from time to time over the years and finally got to the point I could stomach them.

Then, my wife made a batch using the same pepper only in it's RED ripened stage! OH MY GOSH!! Now that is a GOOD EAT'N stuffed pepper![:p]