In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Emerald ash borer

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
Split a bunch of ash this afternoon. Since the storm was pretty bad I made sure I carried a bunch in so I wouldnt have to keep going in and out. Few hours later I noticed these bugs around my house. Never noticed them before. wood usually comes in and goes right in the fire. I've heard we have them here in NY but never actually saw one. I thought it was a bunch of BS actually. There pretty slow moving and I think they only eat ash. I hope they don't eat my house.

Comments

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The little buggers have killed, or are killing, about 30 trees on my place. I'm a handy fellow and have dropped and cut up many many trees. But I've got one tree that is going to be rough to handle and the price if I mess up is my neighbor's house. Of course being in my mid 50's and some overweight makes a difference as this thing is going to have to be climbed or use a lift to take down without tearing up something. It's dangerous to climb because of the insect damage.

It's going to cost me about $800 to get rid of this thing. The rest of them I can handle as I need to, but this one is dangerous and I'm going to pay the boys with the equipment to handle it. They're going to use a bucket truck. When you weigh the property risk and the personal injury risk it makes it seem cheap at the price. The boys are insured, one of them is my cousin's kid.

Damn insects!
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    smart move in my eyes dont need a neighbor mad.
  • Options
    Ford 23Ford 23 Member Posts: 3,129
    edited November -1
    I lost something like 23 Ash trees, what a shame beautiful great shade trees.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like a good choice
    we have lost several trees ( not that we have a lot any way ) terrible thing what the insects have done to so many places

I had two trees several years ago I was going to take down not insect related
    I looked at them several days deciding on how I was going to do it ,
    no danger to the house but just with in range of the state highway if things went wrong I could just see a crash on my mistake of the tree dropping [:(]
    I called a local fellow ( tree service ) told him I do not need a recept and cash is waiting to cut down and grind the stumps and he could have the wood if wanted ( he did not )
    he did it for not much more what a bucket lift would have cost me to rent[:D]
    I think it was 250.00 I gave him
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stinking BUgs
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a bunch cut down around the house and along the driveway. Only 2 did they climb and rope down. All got pushed off the driveway and the wife and I cut them up. Some to 9' others to what was convenient. So far 2 guys have come and hauled away 4 pickup loads. Couldn't get a "cherry picker" or big truck to haul them away because of possible damage to the shared driveway.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good move. A sign of high intellect.
    Paying that money is a lot better than what it would cost if you tried it yourself, and screwed it up.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check with your Homeowners Insurance.

If they realize the tree may cause damage if not removed, maybe they may pay for it's removal.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    800 sounds like a gift.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes that sounds cheap. I just paid $1600 to have a big maple tree removed. It was thirty feet from my bedroom on the north side of my house. That was including grinding the stump and hauling the wood away.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,351 ******
    edited November -1
    The loss of the American Ash tree's is happening all over the country![V] In my state of Michigan you are not even allowed to transport the downed fire wood!!

The newest rifle that I am building on my work bench is a very fine piece of stock wood known by some as curly ash. It is magnificent!

Like the loss of the American Elm some 40+ years ago to Dutch Elm Disease, it sure is a very sad state of affairs! [V]