In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rental gun Maintenance

Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
Howdy my GB Brothers and Sisters!! Hope you are all having a blessed and profitable day. Me?? I'm disassembling Ruger SR22 pistol slides, cleaning, and reassembling. Just remove the rear sight punch out the roll pin and remove the breech block. Oh and don't loose any of the four tiny coil springs.[:)]

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not quite the same but...

I miss the gunshop - the lifestyle - the people.

While it was work and sometimes time consuming / difficult...

Getting in an arsenal crate of Turkish Mauser bolt action rifles or Morin nagant bolt action rifles or the like always made me smile...

Breaking the seals and trying to interpret the rack tags and arsenal rework paperwork or arsenal storage documents...

Removing rifles from crates that had been sealed for who knows how long - guns that had been unissued and in storage since god knows when...

Cataloging them - putting them into the shops books - inspecting and grading them - setting aside anything special or odd or intriguing for further research...

Some were pristine - in amazing condition with test targets and inspectors / armorers notes and matching bayonets (Persian Mausers).

The Turkish Mauser rifles had been removed from deep long term protective storage and "cleaned" or prepped for sale / shipment and repeated pretty nicely / with obvious care but the cosmoline could never be eliminated short of a media blaster or full dip in a chemical bath...

I have 3 in my accumulation / stockpile and even after personal attention the cosmoline persists - weeping from the stock when the barrel heats up after firing...

Heavy - overbuilt - arsenal reworked to meet the last common pattern - well used but very well cared for - not pretty or flashy or possessing of cache...

But smooth operation - very good shooters - flawless function.

You could nog give them away when they flooded the market in the 90's - they were not super desirable...

Now they seem to be much harder to locate and are bringing prices that I would never have belieived.

Going through this type of crate or having to inspect - clean - grade estate sale guns suffering from neglect was work - sometimes hard work but I was always happy to do it - it was as much a pastime as if was a pleasure.

I can see you working on the rugers - surrounded by supplies and tools - I can smell it.

Good day to you.

Mike
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,267 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember going to a gun show in the nineties in Atlanta, the poor old Turkish Mausers were stacked up on a table like cordwood. Sixty bucks a piece and they could hardly give them a way. Antiques.

And, piles of Turk 8mm ammo in those bandoleers, going for 4 cents a shot.

I bought one of those rifles, back in those days, and quite a few bandoleers. Great old guns made in Deutschland.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "I can smell it."
    Hey!! I took a shower. A couple of days ago.[:p][:o)][:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ricci

That mix of cleaning chemicals - break free and hoppes and rem oil and Wally wipes / clothes...

It's better than the aroma from an H Upmann reserve (ring size 50 to 54) when lit and smoldering...

A finer fragrance than 2 inches of mcallen being poured into a proper cut crystal glass at the proper angle...

More alluring and evocative than the average attractive young ladies perfume...

And you know it - you have the sickness - and there is no cure.

The Turkish Mauser rifles were strange ducks and escaped most buyers attention.

They took Mauser pattern rifles made in almost every country in Europe - from every age and in every pattern and specification and returned them to there best arsenals.

These guns were arsenal reworked to meet the final common issue standard pattern prior to storage.

They scrubbed the guns of most previous markings and proofs (especially the receivers) and restamped them - and upon inspection the numbers left on the guns parts no longer match - usually a kiss of death amongst collectors and many buyers.

But the Turkish Mauser rifles in question were done right - the fit and function of these guns was always superior to others that were on the market.

We received and handled and sold hundreds of them - always buying intact arsenal crates from the dealer...

While not pretty - they always function well - smooth actions and reasonable accuracy.

And they are heavy - 9 or 10 lbs

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Those old bolt guns usually exhibit fine workmanship. I enjoy taking them apart and examining the machine work.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,267 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have loved to have worked in a gun store, and opened the crate of Turkish Mausers, and pulled them out, one by one.
    Or Swedish Mausers.

I remember in 1992 there was a big gun store in Atlanta named Brock's.
    Went in there one day, they had 150 Swedish Mausers on the racks on the floor. I bought one, and several other guys bought one there in a half hour.
    Went back a week later to buy another and the racks were still full! I asked the guy, he said they had 300 more in crates in the back! Damn, I would have paid money to help uncrate those beautiful old Mausers.
    Also, Brock's had Swede battle packs of ammo. Thick green plastic packs, 200 rounds of non corrosive match grade 6.5 ammo for $70 bucks. Damn, those were the days.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well hell you all come on over and I will put you to work.[:)][}:)][:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If directed at me I am flattered at the invitation to visit and be able to do some work behind the counter...

It's been awhile since I had shop privileges...

Even in my current condition if you were is reasonable proximity I would jump at the chance to work on your guns in your domain...

I still do some work at home for locals and there is a combo indoor range / shop that has work for me if and when I advance my recovery...

I do so miss the interaction with customers and camaraderie with staff - and I do so miss being able to pass on lore - drop some knowledge - lecture about certain guns who's story I know...

Mike
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,083 ******
    edited November -1
    send me some,I'll clean em for you ,no charge,,[;)][;)][;)]
  • Options
    KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Surprised you don't just drop them in a ultrasonic cleaner. Would think you could hit them with compressed air when done and oil it up?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yea we had one of those. I never liked it so we sold it.quote:Originally posted by Krony
    Surprised you don't just drop them in a ultrasonic cleaner. Would think you could hit them with compressed air when done and oil it up?