In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Prairie Dog Hunting Spots in Eastern SD/NE

KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
edited April 2018 in General Discussion
Wondering if anyone can provide recommendations for good spots to Prairie Dog hunt in eastern (or central) South Dakota or Nebraska (I'm in Iowa). I've never been before so need to find some contacts.

Comments

• grizgriz Member Posts: 425 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a link to SD Game and Fish that may get you started...

https://gfp.sd.gov/prairie-dog/
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will have to go as far as Grand Island in Nebraska before you hit any dog towns that I know of. And most of those will have been hunted so the dogs are pretty smart. We found a town up by my uncle's farm outside of Elba that was fresh and we about wiped it out. It's a lot of grassland pasture North of GI so it's full of towns. If you are country or have a ag background, you'll have better luck getting on someone's property. I have no idea of what SD would be like. Where in Iowa? Logan here.
  • Heavy ChevyHeavy Chevy Member Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bring a fat billfold with you.
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been to the Rosebud property 20 years ago. It was fun. Intermittent shooting. Don?t know if it is good compared to other places.
  • tangaratangara Member Posts: 133 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to go west river in SD. I am in Eastern SD and know of no dog towns east of the river.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Not sure about the Rapid City area, but if you ever make it down this direction; find Melrose on the highway map.
    Millions of those things as far as the eye can see on both sides of the road.
    You'll have to put up with some aircraft noise occasionally (during daylight hours, and sometimes at night), as the Kids from Kannon do their thing at the Melrose Bombing Range. It's about 2 miles south of town.
    Gotta shoot from atop your truck though; not a lot of backstops out that way.
  • KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guns-n-painthorses
    . If you are country or have a ag background, you'll have better luck getting on someone's property. I have no idea of what SD would be like. Where in Iowa? Logan here.

I'm in Des Moines area. I'm a former farm boy and work in Ag, just don't really want to go door to door if I make the trip...would rather have something planned.
  • 44pinshooter44pinshooter Member Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been going to the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe Reservation on and off the last 16 years. We go there about every 2-3 years.
    Kind of the north west part of South Dakota.
    Go to thier web-site, get an accout. Non-residents, non-tribe members it is $100.00 for a license, good all season, which is May to August.
    They will send you a list of ranchers and land owners who are looking for "doggers". Use their list, names and phone numbers and call up some of the ranchers, land owners and ask them how the weather and the dog towns are doing. They are more than happy to welcome you to come and waste your ammo on their problem, so they don't have to piosion the prairie rats.
    They, by tribial rule, can't not charge or recieve any kind of payment for you whacking prairie dogs.
    Last year in January, starting planning time out there. Got connected with a rancher,in June, who told the truth, DRY, no rain for a long time, but there were dogs on his place, not a huge number, but he had some, if you were willing to do a little 4-wheeling in a few miles. Heck yeah, we're in.
    Set up dates and time we would get there. He said to come on out. Asked if we would be the only ones there, yes, no problem, 3 days it is your place.
    I always offer a gift and he said no, against tribial rule. So a few days later he called me and asked me if I said I was from WI. Yes, I am. OK he said, can't ask or recieve any kind of payment, but you did offer a "gift". He said his wife would be very happy if she found a chunk of WI sharpe chedder chese on the porch.
    Had 3 days of fair shooting. Dog population was down. Never seen South Dakota so dry. Didn't whack a lot of them, they had been shot at before, but the ones out there past 500 yards, weren't too bright. The .22-250. .243 of mine did alright and Dan broke in his 6.5 Creedmore out to 700ish yards, was still a good time.
    Great place to stay is in Faith. Great mon & pop motel. They welcome the "doggers". The Prairie Vista Inn, off the resevation about 15 or so miles. Clean place.
    Be well worth your time to check it out.
  • KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 44pinshooter
    Been going to the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe Reservation on and off the last 16 years. We go there about every 2-3 years.
    Kind of the north west part of South Dakota.
    Go to thier web-site, get an accout. Non-residents, non-tribe members it is $100.00 for a license, good all season, which is May to August.
    They will send you a list of ranchers and land owners who are looking for "doggers". Use their list, names and phone numbers and call up some of the ranchers, land owners and ask them how the weather and the dog towns are doing. They are more than happy to welcome you to come and waste your ammo on their problem, so they don't have to piosion the prairie rats.
    They, by tribial rule, can't not charge or recieve any kind of payment for you whacking prairie dogs.
    Last year in January, starting planning time out there. Got connected with a rancher,in June, who told the truth, DRY, no rain for a long time, but there were dogs on his place, not a huge number, but he had some, if you were willing to do a little 4-wheeling in a few miles. Heck yeah, we're in.
    Set up dates and time we would get there. He said to come on out. Asked if we would be the only ones there, yes, no problem, 3 days it is your place.
    I always offer a gift and he said no, against tribial rule. So a few days later he called me and asked me if I said I was from WI. Yes, I am. OK he said, can't ask or recieve any kind of payment, but you did offer a "gift". He said his wife would be very happy if she found a chunk of WI sharpe chedder chese on the porch.
    Had 3 days of fair shooting. Dog population was down. Never seen South Dakota so dry. Didn't whack a lot of them, they had been shot at before, but the ones out there past 500 yards, weren't too bright. The .22-250. .243 of mine did alright and Dan broke in his 6.5 Creedmore out to 700ish yards, was still a good time.
    Great place to stay is in Faith. Great mon & pop motel. They welcome the "doggers". The Prairie Vista Inn, off the resevation about 15 or so miles. Clean place.
    Be well worth your time to check it out.

Great input, sounds like it would be worth the drive.