In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Revolver "Turn Line."

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited April 2018 in General Discussion
A scar on the cylinder caused by the cylinder stop riding on the surface as the cylinder turns. It is possible to time the stop so that it isn't in constant contact and doesn't make the turn mark. But that means careful hand fitting and most guns don't receive that attention. But some do.

This SAA was made in 1971. The previous owner used it for SASS matches so I suspect it has been fired a lot. I shoot it. Notice the lack of a turn line. Perfectly timed.

standard.jpg

This 38 Diamondback was carried in a holster and used in the field. I have shot it a bunch. Very well used. Turn line? Nope.

standard.jpg

A couple of well used Pythons. No turn line.

standard.jpg

The high end Colts are most likely to be perfectly timed. My S&Ws from the 1930s-1950s are pretty good but not up to the level of the Colts. The worst one I ever had was a 1980 S&W Model 25-2. It had a groove worn around the cylinder. Horrible timing.
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought it had something to do with not releasing the hammer from half cock or something like that on Colts and supposedly on some others they drag regardless?
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Colt trooper III (1973) Has been shot very often. Has developed a cylinder line. May need a tune up.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smiths seem to always have the turn line. Just picked up a USFA Bisley version and the cylinder stop bolt drops just before the cut. Same thing with a 1918 made Colt New Service. So nice to see the thing drop just in time to make the cut.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,035 ******
    edited November -1
    Darn nice examples,Doc,,,[^][^][^][^]
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    Darn nice examples,Doc,,,[^][^][^][^]

Yes, you own some fine handguns Doc.

I'm always willing to learn. Thanks for posting.