In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Are Canadians really coming here for HC?

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in General Discussion
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2012/june/5-myths-about-canada’s-health-care-system

I know several people have asserted that Canadians are streaming across the boarder for Healthcare here is some data that might suggest that isn't entirely true.

I evaluated some conflicting data, for example that 52K Canadians have crossed the boarder for Healthcare. For context 750K Americans have left America for HC.

Also wealthier people who can afford to pay tend to do so. Many wealthy Americans have left this country for experimental treatments.

I don't have the best solution, a sick person can very easily become bankrupt even with insurance. Should they just die or does society band together to shoulder some of the burden?
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes they do, with socialized medicine in Canada most good doctors move to the United States to practice because they cannot make very much money in Canada. So what's left in Canada are the worst doctors imaginable, or inexperienced doctors just out of medical school

Plus the fact that there is such a waiting list for doctors appointments usually about 3 to 6 months, and for non-life-threatening operations the waiting list is up to a year. knee surgeries, back surgeries... anything that can be put off. This is because of the lack of doctors left in Canada

The residence of Canada that do come to the United States for healthcare have Insurance in the United States to cover it.

Which poses the next question that I never thought of Can Canadians qualify for Obama care? And because they do not pay taxes in the United States, do they get it for free. I'm going to have to ask this on a separate thread so I do not hijack your thread
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My sister in law is Canidian Citizen that needed a kidney transplant she had it done here because she would still be on the waiting list in Canada
  • Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read somewhere years ago that there are more MRI machines in the VETERINARY clinics of any large American city than there are in all the hospitals in Canuckistan!
    A coworker lost two Canuckian family members to easily treatable conditions while they were on "waiting lists".
    As I said, this was years ago, before "oblammy care".
    I don't suppose they're any better off coming here now.
    My own health insurance premiums have continued to skyrocket, while they pay for less and less of my actual healthcare costs.
    Our system is fugged up for all but the indigents and the health insurers.
    IMHO
    Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's an interesting article, but the source makes me a little concerned. I know several Canadians, & have spoken to many of them about their HC system. I've yet to speak to a Canadian who was unhappy with their system, but most haven't yet had a serious medical problem.

Canadians are accepting of the shortcomings of their system. They know that, for a serious injury or illness, they may have to wait for treatment. And, they know that a delay may mean the difference between life & death. In recent years, the Canadian system has been paying for some of their people to get treatment at US hospitals, due to delays in theirs.

For years, wealthy Canadians (& politicians) will serious illnesses have come to the US & paid for world class treatment. I've never seen a wealthy American (or politician) go to Canada for medical treatment.

Ex-pat Americans > 65 wsameve to Canada hold onto their Medicare coverage, just in case. Interestingly, Canadians who travel outside the country usually purchase temporary health insurance policies, since the Canadian system won't reimburse them if they get sick or injured while on a trip.

Neal
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    That's an interesting article, but the source makes me a little concerned. I know several Canadians, & have spoken to many of them about their HC system. I've yet to speak to a Canadian who was unhappy with their system, but most haven't yet had a serious medical problem.

Canadians are accepting of the shortcomings of their system. They know that, for a serious injury or illness, they may have to wait for treatment. And, they know that a delay may mean the difference between life & death. In recent years, the Canadian system has been paying for some of their people to get treatment at US hospitals, due to delays in theirs.

For years, wealthy Canadians (& politicians) will serious illnesses have come to the US & paid for world class treatment. I've never seen a wealthy American (or politician) go to Canada for medical treatment.

Ex-pat Americans > 65 wsameve to Canada hold onto their Medicare coverage, just in case. Interestingly, Canadians who travel outside the country usually purchase temporary health insurance policies, since the Canadian system won't reimburse them if they get sick or injured while on a trip.

Neal
    So the 750,000 Americans who travel out of this country for treatment are not wealthy?

Hmmm
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    patt7638patt7638 Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On a trip to Canada about 5 years ago I had a talk with a woman who had to have a knee replacement. She waited 2.5 years.