In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

webley mark 6 made by enfield

saber22saber22 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
edited January 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have a webley mk6 made at enfield lock in 1925. it has been cut to fire 45acp.Is there any way I can find out where this revolver was issued? Iknow that England was in afganastan a lot during the 20s. Also I would like to work up a load that mimicks the original. The original load was a 256gr lead slug with 9grs cordite I believe. Someone cut the lanyard ring off before I bought it and I cant seem to to find a replacement anywhere. Also I would like to put a spare parts kit together what parts would be recomended? I already have two mainsprings and two barrel catch springs.

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one that is pretty much the same as yours. I doubt if you will ever find out where it was issued, and there is no real connection to Aghanistan anymore than anywhere else in the world where the British planted their flag. Because the rear of the cylinder was faced off to accept .45 Auto in half-moon clips you'll have to do your load duplication in that configuration or with .45 Auto Rim cartridges, which are getting a little harder to find; but I do not believe that the original .455 Webley will work satisfactoriy in your modified revolver--and those rounds are even harder to find. You might get a replacement lanyard ring by trying the Numrich Gun Parts Corp. or other parts vendors.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I though it would be a little difficult to tell where this gun was issued, but I figured to try. I have a generous supply of 45autorim casings annd a much larger supply of acp casings on hand. and I cant use 455eley casings as the firing pin is two short. do you have any idea what type of powder would be best as a substutute for cordite? or even better can cordite still be found? I dont care about the corrosive problems as a give the gun a three day cleaning after I shoot it (thats what the marines made my grandfather do to prevent corosion). AS for the layardring Numrich is out of them and has been for the last year. Thanks
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    I have no idea whether this is a substitute for cordite, but a good load to come close to the originals is 5-6 gr Unique. I've tried this load with both 250 and 260 grain bullets. Works well, falls within the pressure limits. Also, Webleys perform best with lead bullets.

Good luck finding cordite!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have noticed that lead bullets seem to work best as I have fired some weak reloads a friend made up by accident a while back. Thankyou for the loading information I will give it a try as soon as I can melt some lead to make slugs. I've never reloaded smokless powder befor but I have fired some loads with black powder, and they worked just fine in the webley. anyone know if there is a source for fake ivory or antler grips for this gun? I've been toying the idea of replacing mine. Also anyone have experience with the new shoulder stock Numrich is selling?