In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W Identity crisis

JERRYGSKIJERRYGSKI Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
edited January 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have a S&W revolver, .38 s&w, serial # V356***, with proof markings according to the "Blue Book" that are British in origin, a crown with "BNP" under it, located on the barrel, frame, and the cylinder. It reads "U.S. PROPERTY G H D." on the top of the frame-left side-near the rear sight. On the left side of the barrel near the frame it has the proof mark then .38 .767" above then with 3 1/2 Tons below it. Then right above where the front edge of the trigger guard meets the frame on the left side it has a marking of 2 crossed swords with "H" to the left of the cross, "B" to the right and "3" below the swords. I was told that it was a Victory model. It has the checkered walnut grips, as well as real pearl grips. It appears to be stainless, however, there are signs of it being possibly parkerized under the grips and inside the frame around the cylinder. I can find no definitive answer in the books that I have, so my mentor "GUNHAWKE" said to try the forums where the gun gurus reside. So here I am. I hope I have been descriptive enough, but if not, let me know! Help please?! Thanks in advance!

Q: Why did you shoot him 16 times?
A: I didn't see the need to reload!

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, you do indeed have a S&W "Victory" model. This is positively indicated by the "V" serial number and caliber. These were made for the British in vast quantity during W.W. II. It is impossible for your revolver to be made from stainless steel, as that technology had not advanced that far at that timeperiod. In fact, the only part that comes to mind that was made of stainless at that time was the gas cylinder on the M1 rifle. Therefore, your revolver is refinished with satin nickel, or another similar finish, or has no finish at all! BNP stands for "Birmingham Nitro Proof" meaning that the revolver had been proof tested with smokless powder, 3 1/2 tons represents the pressure per square inch at which the revolver was proof tested, and G H D represents the initials of the U.S. Inspector, Lt. Col. Guy H. Drewry. The crossed swords and letters are another proof mark, which usually indicates where and when it was proofed, but I do not have that exact marking in my records. As these were shared with the Commonwealth Countries, it is possible that the mark was applied by one of them.
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you have a nice and interesting Victory model that has been finish altered, or stripped of finish ... I lean toward the former.

From a collector standpoint the value is significantly lowered due to the finish. However you have a fine revolver to plink around with.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!