In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mauser fr7

gunrunner1911gunrunner1911 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
edited January 2004 in Ask the Experts
I recently bought a short barreled mauser action with only a couple of markings. The right side has fr7 and the serial # the other is cal 7.62. It is chambered in .308 I've seen info about the fr8's but not the 7's any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your rifle is a conversion of the earlier Model's 1893 or 1916, 7mm Spanish Mausers. These were produced in the Oviedo Arsenal.

Since your rifle's action is the same as the original 19th Century Spanish Mausers, it is not considered as strong as the FR 8 which is made on the Model 1943 La Coruna's, which are copies of the German 1898 Mauser.

When these rifles were converted in the 1950's from the original 1893/1916 Mausers, the Spanish Army wasn't using the standard NATO 7.62 Cartridge in their CETME rifles. They had a special intermediate cartridge, with a lighter bullet and lower muzzle velocity.

To my way of thinking, it would be prudent for you to be carefull in the loads your going to feed your new rifle.

luger_4.jpg