In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CZECH 98/22 8MM buying advice needed

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
edited January 2004 in Ask the Experts
The latest issue of Guns-N-Stuff has a CZECH 98/22 for $54.95 with a cracked stock and $75.95 for a rifle in good condition. The ad states this model, made at Brno CZ factory, is rare in the US. I am not a collector, I just want an inexpensive 8MM rifle to shoot . I could probably repair the cracked stock or buy an after-market stock for the $54.95 rifle. Anybody have any advice on this?

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you intend to replace the stock anyway the busted stock deal is ok. You probably can't get a replacement stock for $21 delivered. Some times you get a little better rifle with a broken stock but don't bet on it.

Mobuck
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    the 98/22 rifle is by no means rare. at that price you may have some pitting on the receiver and for sure below the stock line.if you need it i have a used stock for one of those, i sold all the hardware to a parts dealer.i hope this helps you.JESUS CHRIST, KING OF KINGS , LORD OF LORDS
  • Options
    familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I just want an inexpensive 8MM rifle to shoot
    Yugo M48 or M48A
    Turkish Mauser

Rare is obviously a subjective word. If it's really rare, that usually means 'expensive' (not $75).

'Hard to find' and 'hard to get' may not only NOT be rare, but also mean 'hard to find parts' when/if something breaks. Notice it said "rare in the US".

The two I mentioned are easy to find, fun to shoot AND inexpensive.

JMHO.

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A little word of caution here--"good" can mean a lot of things. Good, compared to others available, NRA Good (not so good--especially if you want a nice bore), "it's in good condition", like you might tell your neighbor if selling him something across the back fence (probably meaning in great shape, fully functional, with just a little wear). In short, I've never bought a gun described as "good" without an extended telephone conversation to establish that it was acceptable. Excellent is usually a lot better. You'd be better off to spend $89.95 for one with a good bore that will shoot than to waste $59.95 for one that won't.[:)]
  • Options
    OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SOG has good or better 98/22's for $58.95 in Gun-list and Shotgun News. I've got three of them but haven't had time to check 'em out yet, bought 'em for the actions mainly. Should be able to in the next week and I'll let you know what I think ,if you're interested!
    Cheers,
    OleDuk
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Thanks everybody. I read and considered everything you all wrote. Olduk, you have e-mail.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."