In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt rifles.

etchglowetchglow Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited January 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have heard that colt produced a lever action rifle in the late 1800s. Is this true? if they did what would one be worth in 70-80% condition? If anyone knows any information about these i would like to hear about them.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Other then some prototypes/experimentals, the "Colt-Burgess" is the only one listed in "Flayderman's Guide".

Only 6,000+ were made in the mid 1880's.

They were made in various models, with the price range of specimens in "Fine" condition, in the multiple thousands.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As rufe-snow states, the Colt-Burgess was a production lever action rifle. Their value depends on conditon and model. The most valuable can easily reach five figures. If the rifle mentioned is all original, it is probably worth several thousand dollars or more. There is one up on *********** right now for in the middle three thousand range.

To see a picture of one, check this link:

http://www.leverguns.com/leverguns/coltburgess_levergun.htm
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I remember the story correctly, Colt made up and sent a lever rifle to Winchester to get their reaction, comments, ect. Inside of a couple weeks without hearing Colt received a package in return containing two Winchester marked revolvers. End of story. Not sure if this is heresay but do remember it from a gun publication of three or four years ago.
  • Options
    etchglowetchglow Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ty for the info. does anyone know if these models were blued or had a brown finish?
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The standard Colt-Burgess finish was blue.

I see that the wonderful GunBroker filter "poofed" my mention of a competing gun sale site with the words "Guns" and "America" in the name.