In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22 hornet advise

beltfedbeltfed Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in Ask the Experts
Hello Ya'll
I am thinking about buying a 22 hornet. I would like some advice on this round. I've read it's a good 150 or so yard round. And there is better stuff around such as the 223, 222, 218 bee. ect. But I want something a little quiter. Have any of you had any experince with this round? How do you like it, whats it's effective range on small game and varmits? I was thinking of finding a old single shot. Is a longer barrel better, I do not want a heavy barrel. I would like the shortest I could find. But am I going to lose to much and hurt preforamce, and accuracy? I would be greatfull for any help. Thankyou Beltfed

Comments

• Options
    rusty3040rusty3040 Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think its a great round, a little hard to load for till you learn the tricks , my hornet is good to 250 yards if the wind isn't kicking up
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Hornet is kinda neat. Eskimos use them on Polar Bears. I was gonna get one a while back but ended up with a .17. Cheaper to shoot, not as powerful and a little quieter. The Horent is not loud, compared to a 223 or 22-250 but considerably louder than the .17 which is in the same class as the 22 rimfire mag. That's my .02 worth.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello beltfed...

My favorite cartridge is the 22 K-Hornet. It is considerably easier to reload, and it outperforms the original 22 Hornet by a decent margin. It will shoot perfectly out to 300 yards (unless the wind is blowing hard). It is very easy for any competent gunsmith to convert a standard 22 Hornet to the K-Hornet cartridge, and you make the brass by simple fire forming. I have an old Winchester single-shot that I shoot this cartridge in, and with my load, it pushes a 45 gr HP at 3000 fps and very accurately.[^]

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go for the Hornet or K-Hornet in a single shot. Use the Spire point bullet and max loads. I have killed chucks at 325 yards but at these ranges you soon come to realize it's more than the bullet. More bullet wont help you. Your pulse, breathing, type of rest, light trigger pull and scope quality become critical. The Hornet muzzle blast is light enough for a hunter, hunting alone to spot (and hear) his hit or miss. Even a .222 wont allow you to do that. The K-Hornet sounds very interesting but can you still spot your shots with it?
    I would like to investigate a rifling twist faster than 1:16 that would stabilize the new plastic tipped high tech bullets or the 52gr HP bullet for even better performance.
    PS Also get a set trigger
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the 22 hornet is dream round. i use it to 100/150 yds all day. feels like a 22mag going off. try it! regardless of bbl length, odds are you will find the 45gr bullet to give best performance. ive shot and loaded them all folks. ive tried every powder combo and bullet available. the only variable will be the gun. you must find the best for the one gun and then stick with it.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    stringstring Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reload the Hornet. This is one sweet round.My Browning A Bolt Micro Hunter is about as sweet as you get.Mine is very accurate at 150 with 46 grain Hollow points.It is not as hard to reload as everyone states.You just have to find the right combo for your gun.You will not be sorry if you purchase one.Just my 2
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't remember if the Browning low wall came in .22 hornet but the Ruger #1 did (or does?). Ruger also makes the K77 bolt rifle. Savage had the model 340. The only problem with some older guns, if I remeber correctly, was they had a little different bore size than .224 but Hornady made bullets for that. Slugging the bore should handle the problem to know. All of the newer versions use the same as the .224 standard.
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I forgot about CZ and Anshultz. Also there is a New England single shot on GB #15369520.
  • Options
    Big StickBig Stick Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Friends and I have over a dozen Ruger 77/22 K-Hornets between us. I'm guilty of three,myself and a coupla more in other actions.

We all incorporated the Factory tube and had it punched K-Hornet after being setback and then bobbed the barrels at 20". To a man,we all shoot Win-296 and Hornady 33gr V-Max. The 33's were a LS&B blem special some years ago and we horded 10,000 or so,between us. The 35gr version is also excellent,but slightly less frangible,IMHO. The 33's scoot at 3450fps and are an absolute terror on vermin. They fling goo,most convincingly.

The 33/35 V-Max,as well as some other light .224's,will both fit nicely within the 77/22 rotary mag and yet touch the rifling. That is a good thing and throat geometry should be a consideration upon that platform IMHO.

One of my 77/22 K-Hornets is the blue/walnut Sporter and I had it bobbed to 20",teflon coated and dumped a Leupold 6x42mm upon it. It is a giant kick in the *,handy as can be and amazingly lethal. My two oldest children(now 6 and 12) have cut their teeth on it,when moving from various 22lr's,to a first centerfire.

I am guilty of having great love for capacious offerings in most diameters and have more .224 centerfires in my stable than I'd admit to. With that being said,the K-Hornet really is off the charts in the fun category and with proper projectile selection,will bring much performance to the table.

Long story short,a 20" K-Hornet will bring home the bacon and is an absolute hoot while doing it......................
  • Options
    GWNelsonGWNelson Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My "K-Hornet" is on the Ruger #3. One of the most fun gun/cartridge combinations I have used over the last 50 years. Enjoy! GW.