In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hand rubbed stock finish

FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
edited February 2006 in Ask the Experts
I bought this stock finish stuff at a gunshow. Arrow Stock finish.
Following direction I rubbed it into my project stock by hand and let dry 24 hrs. Produced a very lusterous shine except for where MY FINGER PRINTS ARE!
I guess this is where the serious rubbing part comes in huh?

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All wood finishing products contain solvents that are carcinogenic, mutagenic, & toxic. These solvents are absorbed through the skin, & are inhaled.

You need to wear protective gloves when using these products, & they should only be used in a well ventilated area.

Most "hand rubbed" finishes should be applied with a lint free rag, after taking the precautions above.

Neal
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I wonder the instructions don't tell that?
    I've been rubbing the stock w/an old sock for a couple hours now. Fingerprints have buffed out nicely. I think it's going to turn out good after a few more applications and alot more rubbing.
  • jaloijaloi Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What I have found that makes a beautiful hand rubbed finish(after staining is applied and dry) is to use the polyurethane of your choice(satin,gloss,semi-gloss)and cut it by 30-50% with mineral spirits.Wearing gloves,spray it on the wood with a hand pump type spray bottle and work it in until it appears to be totally absorbed into the wood.Keep applying coats this way until it seems it is no longer soaking in.What this does is not only provide a gorgeous finish,but since the polyurethane is literally soaked into the wood it makes it very durable! Try it,I think you will like it!
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I've finished the stock I originally posted about. IMO the result was excellent. Now workng on another one.
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    would you post some pics??
  • jaloijaloi Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Her are images of an 870 stock and forearm that I stripped yesterday,and applied 4 coats of the mixure I mentioned earlier.This set was done with satin urethane.All that is left to do is wait 24 hours until the "waxy" feeling is gone and buff it with a lint free cloth.This produces a true hand rubbed finish.[url][/url]http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid=20933219609.25524219609.1140121264153&photoid=15524219609&view=1&page=1&sort_order=&albumsperpage=&navfolderid=2006
  • drygulchdandrygulchdan Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get excellant results buffing out oil finishes with 2F pumice,then 4F pumice then finally rottenstone.
  • gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone has their favorites, and any 'hand rubbed' finish will take a while. Nmyers is spot on, again, with the dangers of most petrol products. If you use a stout rag instead of your bare hands the final product will not suffer for it. Be safe you younger bubs.

I'll not post MY favorite(s)...BUT...If you want a good, rich finish it will follow a process that takes a good bit of time (therapy).
    ENJOY !
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Dan, who sells pumice & rottenstone?

Neal
  • Jim RehmJim Rehm Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brownells has both pumice and rottenstone.
  • drygulchdandrygulchdan Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can get pumice and rottenstone from brownells,midwayusa,or about any woodworking supply store.I buy 1 lb containers at woodworkers supply for less than what the other places sell a 8 oz container.I mix the pumice or rottenstone with water and put some on a cooton pad(some people use felt sheets)and buff.Start with 2F,go to 4F,then the rottenstone.