In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

long vs short

gunzforevergunzforever Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
edited January 2006 in Ask the Experts
Ok, this may sound dumb, but really what are the differences between long and short bolt action rifles. Esecially with the magnums, seioursly why are the short actions the "fad"?

Thankyou and Godbless

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Length of mag well/bolt stroke/ maximum cartridge length/ reduced weight due to the shorter side rails, etc
    And FAD is the only reason for them, as the "differences/advantages don't amount to squat in the real world (oh, but my bolt stroke is .312 less and my receiver weighs 1.035oz less than yours, and all I have to give up is the ability to use heavier bullets)
  • Options
    ndeltagunsndeltaguns Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Short action guns are called that because the shells are short (22-250, 243, 308, 260, 7-08, and all the new wsm's). Long action guns are the longer have the longer shells (270, 280, 30-06, and the magnums). In my opion the short actions are the "fad" because you get a shorter and lighter gun.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In point of fact the short mag cartridges are more effecient than longer cartridges. More of the powder burns within the case than in the throat or barrel, so they get extra fps.

In the real world, a deer is just as dead shot by my .257 Roberts as by a .257 SAUM.
  • Options
    knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok if shorts are just a fad then let me ask you this, why are their long and shorts for the German Mauser 98k in 8mm?

knightrider
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think by "fad", you mean by the new short action magnums. The whole deal with the short action magnum cartridges is just improvement in internal ballistics. It going from longer thinner cases to shorter fatter cases. I think it was in the 70's, with Palmisano and Pindell, the inventors of the .22 ppc and 6mm ppc. They found that the shorter fatter case produced better internal and external performance. For some reason they will yeild more velocity with the same powder charge than longer cases. I think its called the venturi effect. I'm not all that sure about the science behind it, but I found a link that might explain their research a little better.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/article_shoulder_angle_oct2603.asp
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Supposedly, as well as being more efficient, the recoil is supposed to be somewhat reduced as well, for like velocity/payload. That one seems suspicious to me, but I haven't personal experience.
    To knightrider's que. The short 8mm action is for the Yugo Mauser 98's
    which are shorter than the original German manufacture.
  • Options
    knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allechalley
    Supposedly, as well as being more efficient, the recoil is supposed to be somewhat reduced as well, for like velocity/payload. That one seems suspicious to me, but I haven't personal experience.
    To knightrider's que. The short 8mm action is for the Yugo Mauser 98's
    which are shorter than the original German manufacture.

This still does not answer my question and what I am getting at. I know that the Yugo is shorter I have one, what I am getting at is the ammo is the same for a Yugo and an orginal 98 there fore why is there a short and long verson? Why not just one?

knightrider