In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NAA .22 in belt buckle

sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
edited April 2006 in Ask the Experts
This is another I am going to put over on the auction,my local FFL told me it may be illegal in some states to sell the gun with the buckle,I bought it with the buckle and metal grips,wood grips and a small leather holster so I could sell it either way but wanted to just sell it all together,,anybody live in a state where they think this would be a NO NO ????
naa1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Obviously any potential buyer would have to check their local law, but I think the limiting factor here is going to be the GUN, not the buckle. For example, NAA mini-revolvers are not legal to bring into my state of MA. So I could buy the buckle from you. . .just not the gun!

The buckle is just a holster, though admittedly a sort of clever and unusual one. So I don't see any problem in owning it. At one point there was a problem with wallet holsters for this gun, since Federal law restricts "wallet guns", but this open buckle holster doesn't present that kind of problem.

Now CARRYING the gun around in that buckle is a whole other thing. Does your state allow open carry? Most of them do NOT, which means you couldn't use that buckle for carry unless you covered it up with a coat or shirt, etc.

On the other hand, in many states, even openly carrying a gun that way could be considered "concealed carry", which again could lead to problems. But just owning the buckle? I doubt that's a problem anywhere.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you dealer had checked FFL Newsletter (August 1997), he would have seen that belt buckle guns fall into the "any other weapon" category. It is unlawful to make, possess, or transfer such firearms without complying with the provisions of the National Firearms Act.

Hopefully, the fellas with the bulges in the cheap suits don't read this forum. You have provided probable cause for a "search & seizure" warrant.

Neal

After further research...you may not be in violation of the law. I found that the only wallet holster/gun combinations that are considered NFA weapons are those that permit firing the gun while holstered, not those that require the gun to be removed from the holster to be fired. If the NAA cannot fire while on the buckle, it may be legal. But, that's only my opinion; the only one that counts is that of ATF (in writing). Since they have not included this in the latest version of ATF P5300.4, it would be a good idea to get a written opinion from ATF before you do anything else.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neal ,I normally will not disagree with an expert but in this case I know for a solid fact your wrong,go reread it,I personally checked it with the bad boys way back when I applied/got my C&R because I had a few things I was curious about like if I needed to include all of my exisiting firearms in my bound book so I called and asked,that only applies to any gun that can be fired WITHOUT removing it from the holster/wallet/belt buckle.these CANNOT be fired while in the buckle,look at the picture
  • Options
    swatcop33swatcop33 Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sharpshooter,

I know from experience that in certain locations warrants have been issued for concealed weapon due to the appearance of the weapon being altered to somewhat conceal its original appearance. I am by no means saying that I agree with this and I am not sure what the outcome of the case was when it went to court but a warrant was issued for this exact type of gun and buckle. I guess you can see from the various posts that it is all a matter of interpretation of the law. Probably the safest thing is for a potential buyer to check with law enforcement in his area before he buys and there still my be an interpretation issue in within their jurisdiction.
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    I have a NAA .22, purchased around '93. At that time, the gunshop sold the buckles as well or you could order them direct from NAA.
    I was going to buy one, until I found out that in Florida, it would be considered "open carry", which is prohibited under the CCW law.

I don't see any problem selling the gun & buckle together, since as mentioned already, that is a type of "holster". I would remove the leather belt and keep it. Let the buyer provide his belt is he so choses.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know that these are still for sale here in Indiana gun with buckle or either separately. I'm not sure what the law is on carrying them here.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One more time, to clarify:

The buckle itself is legal in 50 states. Its a BELT BUCKLE (not a gun) and nothing more, and you can buy one directly from NAA or a whole bunch of dealers with no license required. So I don't see any problem selling with the gun, or without.

A "belt buckle gun" is a GUN designed to look like a belt buckle. IE, when you look at the gun, you think its just a belt buckle. In this case the gun looks like any other revolver, and its clearly a gun. . .the buckle is a buckle. You can't fire the gun while in the buckle because you can't cock it.

This is a picture of the Nazi belt buckle gun:
    im002056.jpg

As a side thing, even if you could fire the gun while in the buckle (which you can't) I still think this particular thing would PROBABLY still be legal because the gun is separate from the buckle, still open and visible, and doesn't appear to be anything other than a gun.

As an separate issue, I can fire (or even carry) my snubby smith and wesson revolver from inside my hat concealing it. . .does that mean my hat is an illegal AOW "hat gun"? [}:)]

The issue with the gun/buckle is whether or not you can carry the gun in the buckle. That depends on the jurisdiction you're in. I would imagine that if you are allowed to carry EITHER open OR concealed in your juridiction this buckle would be OK. (Either the gun is open. . .or its concealed. . .either one is fine).

The problem is, if you aren't allowed to carry open, the law could consider this gun concealed, and vice versa.
  • Options
    skychaser53skychaser53 Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah

Does your state allow open carry? Most of them do NOT, which means you couldn't use that buckle for carry unless you covered it up with a coat or shirt, etc.

On the other hand, in many states, even openly carrying a gun that way could be considered "concealed carry", which again could lead to problems. But just owning the buckle? I doubt that's a problem anywhere.

First, the gun has more value with the buckle. A seperate gun and a seperate buckle won't bring as much as both. I have had one for years and wouldn't think of seperating them.
    2nd.. If you are allowd "open carry" and you cover it witha shirt, it is now a concealed weapon..
    3rd. What happened to the Constitution ??? I thought you could put a gun in a holster on you hip anytime you want as long as you could put up with the hastle of the police maybe tying up a few hours of your life..
    4th. What does OHIO have. can you legally do the gun holster on your hip thing legally? I know you can now get a concealed weapon's permit now.
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Where is the link to your items?