In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt SAA Value

SnigleySnigley Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
edited April 2006 in Ask the Experts
A friend of mine showed me his Colt SAA today. it has been passed down through the family. It was manufactured in 1906 and it is in 32 WCF. Most of the finish is gone but the grips are in great condition. All matching serial numbers with a 5" barell. For insurance purposes he was wanting to know it's approx value.

Comments

• SnigleySnigley Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Recently a coworker asked if I would help him sell his brother-in-law's gun collection. The guy had several items I've no clue how to value, so I'm looking for help. First up is a Colt SAA, first generation, in 32 WCF, SN 340240. While I not up on antique firearms grading, I'd call it good condition. I had to take photos in a closet with a flash, so they're not the best. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Colt%20SAA%201%20Post.jpg
    and the other side.
    Colt%20SAA%202%20Post.jpg
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what little I see, "traces of original finish" with a bit of pitting here and there, plus trigger position indicating some internal strife: $1000, plus or minus.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that you DO need assistance. You are reading this on an auction site; it's probably the best place to sell the collection. But, before you start asking questions, take a look at items posted on the auction site. The first thing that should pop into your mind is that you don't need to know the value of a gun; you list it at a low starting price, & the bids actually made will tell you what the value is. That's all there is to it.

You will see that grading doesn't use words like "good" or "nice". (At least, no one with half a brain does.) As rhmc24 pointed out, the Colt has traces of finish, so that probably means 1-2% finish (you don't know if it's original or refinished). Then, you have describe every little detail, such as barrel length, rust, pitting, replaced parts, alterations, & mutilations. Be sure to describe bore condition. And, tell folks how it functions & locks up.

You will also need better photos. We should be able to read every marking on the gun; if you can't do that, you need to get a better camera. Or, your friend needs to pay a professional to photograph it. And, you need to show every part of the gun, with at least 6 photos, maybe more for those who ask for it.

The difference between a poor job of photographing & describing a gun can reduce the sale price by hundreds of $, sometimes more.

Neal
  • SnigleySnigley Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neal, thanks for your comments. Perhaps I should have given a better explanation of what I needed. Several of the guns have been in their family for a very long time and they are trying to decide if they want to sell "grandpa's guns" or keep them. All I needed at this moment was a ball park value to help them decide what to do. I searched the auction and only found two SAA's sold in the past 90 days and both were in far better condition which really didn't give a realistic comparison. The $1000 guess is plenty good at this moment. If they decide to sell I'll post plenty of quality photos. Since they're dead meat on the rifle, I don't know what they'll do.