In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 1873 Value

SnigleySnigley Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
edited April 2006 in Ask the Experts
Recently a coworker asked if I would help him sell his brother-in-law's gun collection. The guy had several items I've no clue how to value, so I'm looking for help. This is a Winchester model 1873 rifle with a hex barrel. After looking for 15 minutes I can't find a caliber stamped on it anywhere. Once again the photos are pittiful but they're the best I have at the moment. I'd rate the condition on this one as fair.
Winchester%201873%20Side%20Post.jpg
And the writing on the barrel,
Winchester%20Barrel%20Post.jpg

Comments

• Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    caliber is writen on the bottom of the elevator. Its the gold colored thing (BRASS) that goes up and down when you work the action. That will help out the guys when pricing it.
    can you also measure the length of barrel. It looks short by the photo.
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This one is interesting. It does look like it has been shortened. I hope Bert comes along to tell us..
  • Options
    WildBillWildBill Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would bid on all guns he has;

Cavanaughkid@hotmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. Unfortunately the gun is not in my possession but at least I now know where to look for the caliber. The barrel is short, but just looking at it, if it was shortened after it left the factory, it was done a long time ago. I should have added initally that the SN which is 338088R.
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    Bert will tell you they didnt make a barrel that short on an 1873 rifle....on shorter barreled rifles the mag retainer was always the same distance back from the muzzle. he will know that distance too
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The serial number (which is actually 338088B) on that butchered Sporting Rifle indicates that it was manufactured circa 1890. The octagon barrel on that rifle has most definitely been cut-down, and it is shorter than the legal minimum length (the forestock on a standard Sporting Rifle is 9-3/8-inches long, and the barrel is only approximately 3-inches longer than the forestock). Per BATFE regulations, the barrel must be at least 16-inches long to be legal... unless it can be proven that it was manufactured by the factory in a shorter length (Cody Factory letter required).

The caliber on that rifle should be stamped on the top flat of the barrel just forward of the frame ring, and it will also be stamped on the bottom of the bronze elevator block.

As it stands now, your co-worker has an illegally modified antique rifle, and it is worth ZERO $$. In fact, it is actually worth 10 years in a Federal prison and/or $250,000 in fines. My advice is to remove the barrel and destroy it, then either locate a correct (24-inch) barrel, or part out the gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is the kind of infromation I'm needing. This piece has been in their family for around sixty years and they were trying to determine whether or not they wanted to sell it or not. It looks like the decision has been made for them.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert,
    Could this rifle have been custom ordered with the short barrel ?
    I have read of a few rifles that were used on coaches with short factory barrels.
    Just curious. Thanks,
    Pete
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nyforester
    Bert,
    Could this rifle have been custom ordered with the short barrel ?
    I have read of a few rifles that were used on coaches with short factory barrels.
    Just curious. Thanks,
    Pete

Hello Pete,

Yes, the Model 1873 could be factory ordered with a shorter than standard barrel... but this rifle is not one of them. The most common length for a factory "Short" rifle was either 18-inches or 16-inches. Additionally, Winchester never installed a full length forestock on a factory ordered "Short" rifle. Lastly, Winchester always installed a magazine tube retention ring that was located 3-1/16-inches behind the muzzle (for a short rifle). If the owner of this rifle wants to know what the actual factory configuration was, I suggest contacting the Cody Firearms Museum and purchasing a factory letter.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Snigley:
    I'd inform my "Brother-in-law" to drop that bbl off a bridge... Bert knows of what he speaks...
    Jeff
    PS. he might want to mash it with a large hammer first!!