In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AMT Hardballer .45 to .22 Conversion

corewarecoreware Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
edited April 2006 in Ask the Experts
Before I start this thread, spare me the "AMT is junk" posts. My Hardballer, for whatever reason, looks great and functions flawlessly. (I've put several hundred rounds through it without a hangup. It's Irwindale made if that means anything...)

Anyway, the only problem with it is that .45 Ammo is way more expensive than .22. I was looking into one of those drop in conversion kits, but I want to know if it will work. I've heard that AMTs are basically interchangeable with other .45s except (again, only hearsay) the barrels. However, since the barrel is encased within a whole new slide on one of these kits, I don't know if it would be a problem.

Has anyone ever tried this? Any thoughts? Also, I've looked at some other barrels, such as .40 for 1911s and muzzle brakes.

http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=1911+BBC

What does "minor fitting" entail? I love this gun, and the possibility of different calibers interests me. Thanks for any thoughts.

Comments

• hslaterprycehslaterpryce Member Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If CEINER makes a .22 conversion for your AMT (it does for the Colt) I have had great experience with the CEINER. I have one on one of my colt commanders and shoot .22 exclusively - never putting the 45 slide back on! I have other 45's so I can shoot 45 if I so desire. But the CEINER functions with all of the different 22 ammo that I use, federal, remiington, winchester and even "other" cheap stuff I get through Sportsman guide. Good luck with your search - and BTW I have had many AMT's and can't report any problems with them either - maybe just lucky?
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    believe it or not, parts for an amt interchange with gold gold cup 1911's, they both are a bit different than the standard 1911, and call for special fit parts

most of the 1911 conversions are more or less universal
  • corewarecoreware Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ceiner was the exact brand I was looking at. The description says this:

quote:Manufactured in the USA by Jonathan Arthur Ciener. 1911 Platinum Cup Target, tighten tolerance, very accurate with gloss Silver finish, accentuated serrated front sight, serrated raised flat bar top, angled cocking slots, Millet Adjustable rear sight, with enhanced accuracy.

I might end up getting one. I think it would fit fine. I'm going to see if I can contact Ceiner though.
  • One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    I had one on my AMT and had no problems with it.
    edited November -1
    quote:I had one on my AMT and had no problems with it.

Awesome, thanks for the information. I managed to get Ciener's number, but I got no answer and it seems he isn't big about returning calls. I'll probably get one. I imagine the Silver finish would match the AMT pretty well.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Ceiner Platinum and also a Marvel Unit 1.
    Both tend to be fussy about the ammo they'll function well with, but either is flawless with what they like. I like the looks (high polish) of the Ceiner, but the Marvel has a much nicer rear sight (appears to be a BoMar) and is more accurate. Planning on selling my Ceiner and keeping the Marvel.
    Even if you go with the Ceiner, check out Marvels web site. They have a great forum thread that will give you lots of info on .22 conversion units, magazines, etc.
    Good Luck,
    edited November -1
    I figured the kits would be picky since Ciener doesn't use the floating chamber that originally made .22 conversion kits possible, relying instead on light alloys.

What ammunition works best? Maxi Mag? I figure some sort of coating over the lead is a must to prevent fouling. I like Ciener because you can use high caps, but thanks for that other kit information. I will check them out.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    coreware,
    CCI Mini-Mags (I think the Maxi-Mags are actually the .22 Mag. version) are one of the ones that work well in both of my units. Interestingly enough, so do Stingers, but because of the expense I stick with the Mini-Mag. Just as an aside over the years I done bunches of comparison shooting in a variety of .22 revolvers, pistols, bolt action rifles and semi-auto's, etc. and CCI Mini-Mag (both solid and h.p.) have always been right at the top in terms of accuracy. Wish I'd stockpiled up on them back when K-Mart sold the 100 pack for $1.97. Guess those days are gone!
    edited November -1
    quote:Wish I'd stockpiled up on them back when K-Mart sold the 100 pack for $1.97. Guess those days are gone!

There is a K-Mart not far from my house that still stocks .22 Mini-Mags [8D] They never order them anymore, but whatever they have back is still there. I'll have to raid it sometime. They also have some .30-06 left over.