In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.223 bolt gun accuracy

CLINTFCLINTF Member Posts: 735 ✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have been seeing a lot of "tactical" bolt action rifles chambered in .223 lately. I AM NOT asking anyones opinion on what are better suited cailbers!!! How much range/distance can a well put together .223 bolt gun achieve with decent accuracy. I have used .300 win mag and .308 out past 800 meters and I'm just a little curious as to what the .223 is capable of.

Thanks.

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CLINTF,

I regularly shoot a 28" barreled .223 Remington loaded with 90 gr. JLK's out to 1,000 yards. This particular load is supersonic out to 1,450 yards. This is a top end load in both velocity and pressure but it is safe in my rifle. My cases get reloaded a minimum of 7 times each so the pressure isn't off the scale.

The wind can play havoc with these bullets but in average conditions, the cartridge will perform quite nicely. Some of the military and Guard units are shooting M-16's at 1,000 yards in competition also. They use an 80 gr. Sierra bullet seated out and loaded singly. Berger and Sierra are producing 90 gr. Match bullets now.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ClintF,

I shoot mine out to 850 yds using Sierra 69 grs. and Berger 70 grs. loaded to 3020 fps. There is a big difference that far in drop so best to spend a good amount of time using one bullet and getting all the drops and windages figured out. Then move to the next.
    The reason I don't shoot longer is my rifle has a 1-9" twist. It actually just stabiizes 69's @ 3000fps. The drops are enormous @ 1k.
    Wind conditions with these is a different matter. I start having problems calling the wind @ 300 yds on a gusty day and at 850 yds. It's about guess and by golly with 2 out of 5 hitting the paper. But on any nice day it is an absolute pleasure to shoot.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can only shoot to 600 yds here.
    My Kimber 84 and Rem 700 will shoot into 5" at that range if not too windy using 72-88 gr bullets.
    Two of my ARs are also set up for 600 and one has shot into 3.5" frequently.
    CP
  • CLINTFCLINTF Member Posts: 735 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys! I was pretty much expecting what you said but wanted to here it from people that actually shoot it.