In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Win. smoothbores part 2

bobinwisbobinwis Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
Hello Bobski,

Nice of them to lock the topic.

I am assuming you have a Winchester model 61 in smoothbore. Per the Bluebook, it lists from $700 (100%) to $300 (70%). For a Routledge bore, add 300%. I don't know what price your clay bird thrower would add. Perhsps a Mossberg collector could add to this discussion. Under the Mossberg chapter, a Targo rifle with case and accessories could have up to $1000 added to the price. Searching the auctions with some keywords might reveal some items. Sounds like shooting your smoothbore is fun. Does it attract attention??

Regards, Bob

Comments

• Options
    merrbarbmerrbarb Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bobinwis: Others in this forum have noted that prices in the Blue Book and other price reference guides are at best ball park. Some say that auctions are the better indicator. For the Model 61 Winchester the Blue Book gives short shrift (2-3/4 inches) to a popular collector model that has, by one count (Key) 24 variations. I would think that the Blue Book could do better for this model but they do have a big job on their hands, and I still will purchase their book. It is up to me to do my pricing homework. The Model 61 Win. counter-bore will sell, at a minimum (98%+) for $3,000 +/- $500. A Through-bore will sell for $3000 +. A n>80% Through-bore went for auction 2 months ago (350+ buyers) for $900. A Rouledge Bore Mo. 61 will go for a minimum of $4,000. (I will buy two for that price.) A Carbine smooth bore -a non-cataloged version- will sell (has sold last year) for $10,000. These are verified prices by knowledgable collectors/buyers. For something like the Mossberg Targo, the blue Book or Standard Catalog may be the best indicator of price. Gun show vendors can also be an indicator. See what they will give you, then add an allowance for their mark-up.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    like all 22 smoothbore target shooting ideas, they all died out due to ww2. it was just marketed and as we know, all gun mfg'ing switched to war production. it simply died.
    and too, 22 target shooting is a lot of effort for such little return, coupled with the increase of sprawl and anti gunning, you just cant shoot in your back yard as easy anymore. so, for the most part, its still dead, but a great novelty. most smoothbores were made famous thru carnivals as arcade guns. THOSE are high demand, because a lot of people can relate to them and have shot them. therefore, theres a higher interest.
    but our little clay throwers are just dinosuars. my experience is, you get one, you play with it, and then it sits in your closet as one of those famous...
    'i got mine' situations. then what? for the most part, it collects dust and value.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.