In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Burnside Carbine

Andrew hallAndrew hall Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
Experts: This is an easier one for you, I'm sure, but I'd appreciate whatever you can tell me about anything you see or don't see on this one...

A Burnside Carbine (#18807). I understand there were 5 Models. Can you help me identify which model this is? Also, should there be a sling bar and saddle ring on the left side? Mine does not have one.

Finally, how do I best remove the relatively new rust on the right side of the weapon without damaging the finish? It almost looks like a thumb mark.

As always, thanks for your expertise.
CIMG1449.jpg
CIMG1439.jpg
CIMG1445.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Hi, Andrew - Yes, it should have a sling bar & ring but these were often removed due to rattling. Please tell us ALL of the markings on the lockplate and the frame & barrel plus any inspector's cartouches. Is the top of the frame marked "Burnside's Patent/Model of 1864"?

Soak FINE steel wool in gun oil and gently rub the rust and then lightly oil the entire gun with a soft cloth. Do no more than that.

More pics of both sides and closeup markings would help.
  • Options
    Andrew hallAndrew hall Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was not able to see any cartouche markings, but I may be missing them. The top of the block says Burnside Patent March 25, 1856. CIMG1441.jpg
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    It appears to be a Third Model. The lock plate should be marked "Burnside Rifle Co. Providence R.I.". The barrel should be stamped "Cast Steel" and possibly (but not always) "1862".
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello See if you can find some KROIL this is great stuff keep the area with rust wet with KROIL for 24 hours and then I like Brass wool better then Steel wool if you use steel wool use 0000 type.
  • Options
    dwpcepdwpcep Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have a Burnside stamped with a date March 25 1856, I understand that the first model is the most rare. How do I find a value?

Semper Fi
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have a Burnside that does not have the saddle ring and bar on it! From all the others i had seen, i thought mine was the only one without it. Mine is "Patented in 1864" and it does have a couple inspector stamps in the wood.