In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Computer question

slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
Need new computer for rental business. Current desktop is antique. Slow and problems. Have a notebook that I use for internet browsing. Want to keep business stuff seperate for several reasons. Best to go with another desktop or with laptop? Leaning to desktop. Think it will cost less for same power and realy do not need portability with it. All my records are in my office. What do the computer experts out there think would be best and why?

Comments

• Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The most import part of buying a new computer is support. A good example is Dell, they have a nice web site with bios upgrades, divers and down loads to keep your computer updated and running well. Computers are like guns what are you going to using it for? If you are not going to be crunching numbers or doing graphics you can stay away from high end, high speed computers and just get one that will do the job. The other critical item is the software, I use the professional version of windows because the work I do requires the extra features that it provides. Take a good look at the software provided with the computer to make sure it will do everything you want it to or you will end up spending another 200.00 or 300.00 for software. Most business computers do not have high end sound cards or or other features cards. Extra ram is a good thing it keeps more addresses open for access by the CPU and does make the computer run smoother. I have all older computers that are running XT and they are solid as a rock. The lap top I have to do programing with has Windows 7. I am using the lap top to do programing and a learning curve when I upgrade the other computers.

Emmett
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you spend less money on a desktop. I like Kim.
    http://www.komando.com/buyguide/
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy from Dell, buy as a small business. Better parts, better warranty (next day on site replacement usually), and if you buy as a business when you call tech support you speak w/ an American (or rather, did as of about a year ago when I had to call last).
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will see what I can find on sale. Will be using the Basic Quicken for bookkeeping and Turbotax mainly. Don't need all the bells and whistles. The cheapest computer today will be 10 times faster and better than the one I have today. Will check out the Dell business thing.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Why not configure the box to your own needs instead of taking whatever they will sell you?
    Visit www.computergeek.com or www.pacificgeek.com and find a nice, used box that you can stuff with sound cards, graphics, several Gigs of Ram, and do it for 1/2 the price of a "new" one.
    After buying my first computer new, I found out that new means,"rebuilt" from so many stores and parts that it might as well be a homebuilt.
    Need support? Visit the website again and get real-time support from a ginuwine GEEK, somewhere in California.
    There are also many articls and infologs about doing it this way, as well as matching components so your box ain't fighting itself way down inside.
    When you say you're running XT, do you mean NT or XP?

Here's a little incentive:
    ============================================================
    COUPON COUPON COUPON COUPON COUPON COUPON COUPON COUPON
    "FOR GEEK SUBSCRIBERS & Friends of Geeks ONLY"
    ============================================================
    SAVE 25% ON ANY PURCHASE
    This is a coupon exclusively for Pacific Geek Subscribers.
    Use it and get an additional 25% off any order today. Enter
    coupon Code: GEEKSAVE25 On last page of shopping cart. Yes, an
    additional 25% off of our already tremendously reduced liquidation
    pricing for every order. No limits or product exclusions.
    But hurry! This offer ends January 25, 2012 at
    11:59 P.M. PST. (One Coupon per order no stacking)