In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Olympic Arms

e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
A friend is considering buying an Olympic Arms AR from Wal-Mart. Does anyone have an opinion as to the quality of their rifles?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Are Olympic Arms ar-15 style weapons any good?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought a new Olympic Arms with 16inch heavy barrel, a-2 sights and a-2 stock, man is it a shooter! I had an SP-1 car-15 a couple of years ago, and it was really hard to sight off of the collapsable stock. With the fixed stock it's a piece of cake, and it's still a compact rifle. The price of the Olympic Arms was only $640, and that included the tax. I think this gun is a step above the "plinker" that lists for $589.

Thanks, Grizztribefans@sssnet.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    is their AR 15 worth purchasing ? I want a Bushmaster but I see where the OA's are alot cheaper & come with a lifetime warranty, I dont shoot alot but just want something to tinker around with, any help appreciated looking for myself a christmas present.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Recently became interested in purchasing a AR type rifle. Received a catalog from bushmaster that was very helpful in providing information and selling their rifles. I have fired and handled a bushmaster and enjoyed it. A co-worker sugested to me to look into olympic arms. Visited their web-site, but was just wondering how they shoot and reputation for their AR rifles.

Remember to Smile!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    has anyone purchased an olympic arms ar style rifle how good is their quality they seem to have a good warranty as well as a satisfaction warranty as well im thinking of buying an upper reciever for a 7.62x39 to fit on a bushmaster ar 15 or a complete rifle in the same caliber post ban ive been waiting for dpms to make a rifle fpr for 8 months now and still no completion date i just may cancel the dpms rifle thanks hank k
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have an Olympic arms AR-15. I put a scope on it and was sighting
    it in at a range. At 100 yds I was putting them in a one inch circle
    and was very impressed and satisfied with the carbine until I fired
    it and it broke apart. In two pieces, it broke where the upper receiver and the barrel meet, behind the retaining ring for the upper
    hand guard. Why would that happen? No fast and furious firing. Using
    a bench with my arm supporting it. Factory ammo. Has anyone else had
    this happen to them?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with a DPMS for a entry level AR, rather then a Olympic Arms.
    I'm not familiar with the current ones that Walmart is selling? But I believe that the older Olympic Arms AR's were made out of castings, rather then forged aluminum.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd buy an OLY before I'd buy a DPMS. I lived in Minnesota when they were a small company starting to get bigger. Their overall fit and finish left a lot to be desired.

As far as cast vs. forged/extruded, there is no difference, really, in strength. The difference is how to get the shape of the metal you need. 7075 castings are the strongest pieces of aluminum out there working every day.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That whole issue of the cast receivers is so far in the past as to be completely out of the picture. I see nothing wrong with Olympic products and have at least 3 at this time.
  • Options
    SammowrySammowry Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per the Oly Arms FAQ - ALL are now FORGED.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Olympic Arms are great, as well as many other's, like Stag Arms, Rock river Arms, DPMS, Windham Weaponry, and Armalite.

Best
  • Options
    4440rk4440rk Member Posts: 495 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What they said. The Olympic is a good rifle.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    I believe that the older Olympic Arms AR's were made out of castings, rather then forged aluminum.
    Olympic Arms had ONE model called a "Plinker" that had a cast reciever. That has been discontinued for a while now. All other models are, and always have been forged. I have an Oly M4 type. it seems to be of excellent quality, it carries a lifetime warranty, and those people are wonderful deal with.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just finished shooting my new Olympic 7.62x39 flat top for the first time. After 4 shots to get it close to zero, the next 3 delivered a 3/4" group(MFS brass case FMJ). Switched to Hornady 123 SST and got 1.25-1.5" groups. Only issue(which isn't but might be for some)is the empties land at the 4 o'clock position. Consistent fall of the cases(within a 2' circle about 5' from ejection port) so I'm not concerned about it.
    I'm impressed since this Oly is so much more accurate than the Colt I traded for it. I'm going to go shoot a deer with it just to say I did.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were one of the originators of the different pistol caliber uppers (beyond Colt's 9mm) and have had a good rep with CS as well as good stuff at decent prices. Can't beat that.

I'd say for your friend to "pull the trigger" so to say...