In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shotgun chokes

GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know of an on-line table of shotgun choke dimensions for 12 ga. thru 410 ga so I can measure the chokes to determine if it is full,modified & etc. ?? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I recently bought a 410 o/u shotgun. It came with 5 choke tubes.
    The owners manual stated that the chokes were identified by lines notched into the end of the tube. I have lines from 1 to 5. Nothing else is identified. The way to determine the choke type is " more lines,- more choke. less lines,-less choke. My question is does "more choke" mean more restriction? That's what I thought. So I measured the tubes with a micrometer and the choke with the most lines,(5) measured .405 and the choke with the least lines (1) measured .383. Does that not contradict what the manufacturer is saying? Thanks for any and all help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is it possible, and if so, is it cost efective to retrofit a fixed choke Rem 1100 20g with removable chokes?
    The gun is 1970ish and in great shape.I can get it for $250 but the choke is mod and I would like Imp cyl
    Thanks , Kc
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looking for names and addresses of Co. or individuals who will shorten a shotgun barrel and thread/install removable chokes. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can somebody explain the trend towards interchangeble choke tube instead of the old adjustable choke. Seems to me its just stuff to loose a pain in the but when you want to change chokes .I've been debating a poly choke for my winchester 1500
  • Options
    edited November -1
    At the risk of sounding totally stupid (I AM about shotguns !!) What is "Full Choke"... as far as bbl ID, etc..? Can you shoot slugs in a gun that is labeled "Full Choke"..? I am specificly wondering about a .410.

Thanks in advance for putting up with the village idiot.

Jack
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My dad always told me that you can't shoot slugs through a shotgun that has a screwed in choke. Can you shoot double 00 buckshot wich is pellets instead of bbs through it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a wingmaster 12ga...with sscrew in type choke....can I shoot it with-OUT a choke installed ?
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any gunsmith will cut down a shotgun barrel for you for a reasonable cost. Try your local yellow pages.

In terms of threading a barrel for a screw in choke, that's a more complex and expensive job. Not every shotgun is suitable for that kind of work, and depending on the gun it may. . .or may not. . .be cost effective.

You might take a look at this article to get a sense of what's actually involved:

http://www.gunreports.com/special_reports/long_guns/American-Gunsmith-Secrets-of-Screw-In-Choke-Installation3804-1.html

IF you don't have a local gunsmith who can do this for you, there are any number of outfits that you can send your gun to. Here are two big ones, there are others:

http://www.americhoke.com/
    http://www.briley.com/2009/screwchokepricing.html
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had excellent choke work done by Briley. Link above.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Joes Custom GunsJoes Custom Guns Member Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CARLSON: IF IT CAN HAVE A SCREW-IN CHOKE THEN Scott can do it.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Briley can work on thin barrels as well.
    I had an A5 28" thin wall bbl cut down to 24
    and bought 2 chokes mod and ic
  • Options
    AJ100AJ100 Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You ever hear that saying, buy the best you can afford?

Thousands of Trap shooters using VERY high end Trap guns depend on Briley.

I've purchased extended tubes to replace the factory tubes on my Browning and Beretta Sporting Clays guns. The Briley tubes pattern much better than the factory ones. I had choke tubes installed on 3 different MX8's, 2 different TM1's, and 1 Ljutic Mono in the last 20 years.

NEVER had ANY problems with Briley.

AJ100(Tom Vogt)

Of course since I had a FFL I didn't have to pay the full price and that was kinda nice.
  • Options
    tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carlson's phone #785-626-3700
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the information.