In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pen Gun

coocoo1coocoo1 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a 25acp American derringer pen gun. The breech block is broken. Split down middle. Can it be fixed,or welded? What would the value be as a parts gun? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Need some GOOD ADVICE on this item. I believe the cartridges with this pen gun are tear gas, is this thing legal to own and / or sell ?
    http://photobucket.com/PENGUNTEARGAS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, my cell phone gun forum was locked up, why? i dont know but it was. So now i have something new to get your opinions about. The .44 cal 'Pen Gun' It fires a single .44 cal round. By un screwing mid way you can insert the round. I have a site with pictures.

http://www.adrax.com/watsons/pengun.htm

Let me know what you think, and also, the reasoning behind 'locking' a forum. Thanks

S.K.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am trying to find out anything about a pen gun that I have. The only markings on it are on the shirt clip with the words PENGUN on it.Under the word is the old Penguin ammo logo. The gun currently has a spent tear gas cartridge in it with a date of Jan. 1969. The gun itself is a simple design of a slit cut in the side of the pen casing and you just have to pull back and release to fire the gun. Any info would be helpfull
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How much is a Pen Gun with the markings: Fed. Lab Inc. Pgh Pa
    Pat. Dec 29th 1925
    I think it shoots a .38 caliber
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, I use to own one of those. The tears gas in powder form is loaded in conventional .38 caliber cartridges. The feds banned this type of tear gas pen back in the 60's, I believe. The ones that used screw-in type cartridges superseded this type, to make tear gas pens legal.

EDIT #1, This is what the screw in type tear gas cartridges look like. The male threaded portion screws into the internal threads in the front part of the tear gas pen.

EDIT #2, I tend to agree with Charlie, vis a vis the legality of the pen.

img_0005_8.jpg_thumbnail01.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Since I have the conventional cartridges I will properly destroy them and just keep the pen for a souvenir. THANKS
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think your shells are fine, its the "GUN" that is the problem because it could fire regular shells (not safely I suspect).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It would take a complete fool to fire a live round out of that thing. Considering it cost me nothing, I won't feel bad taking the hacksaw to it. GOING GOING GONE!
  • Options
    DEEREHARTDEEREHART Member Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having seen a couple of these I have often wondered how effective they might be. Would they work in a space much larger than a small room. What were they designed to do?
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Intended to be used at point blank range, the forerunner to Mace or OC pepper spray.

And while I agree you would be a fool to ever fire a round of ball ammo out of that (and probably a fool with a badly wounded hand) in THEORY you could- making it a smoothbore pistol, and a disguised firearm, and AS SUCH, a Class III firearm.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by coocoo1
    It would take a complete fool to fire a live round out of that thing. Considering it cost me nothing, I won't feel bad taking the hacksaw to it. GOING GOING GONE!

There are collectors around that have these tear gas pens. My dad had this one and I got it after he passed.
    pengun9.jpg
    It had one round of gas with it. I sold it at a gun show a while back. If I was you start checking for a collector and sell it. They go for good prices.
    Here's a post from a few months ago,
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=561036
    One from a couple years back,
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=477598
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I thought I could not sell it ?
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    the sell on the auction side,,, made from aluminum the are made to shoot tear gas powder ..the shells are powered only by the primer,,they were made in 10ga,12ga,20ga,410ga,44cal,38cal,32cal,22cal...if you watch the auctions they come up here and there,,,in the late 50's/early 60's the screw on self contained units came about with tear gas and flare units..they were used as downed pilot rescue signal (small flare ) in the vest,,still used in the military today..they even sell on fleabay some times,,,finding shells is rare easyer to find the screw on types
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THANKS EVERYONE !