In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Howa M1 Carbine

Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
At a gun auction yesterday, I saw a .30 carbine, but it was not the Thailand model. In general, it was a GI copy, but the back of the receiver was smooth & the rear sight was mounted on the rear of the barrel. The upper hand guard was smooth steel without ventilation holes. It did not look like a gunsmith reworked it. I couldn't find any on-line reference. Did Howa made a commercial/civilian version?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it doesn't have any manufacturers markings on the receiver, and rear sight has been removed? My WAG it is something that Bubba has worked over. Probably started out as a M2, and he figured as long as all the markings and rear sight was ground/polished off and refinished, nobody would be the wiser.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, Howa, a Japanese company, did make a commercial copy of the M1 carbine. If it was marked "Howa", that is likely what you saw. I've never seen one.

Neal
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Howa produced around 9,000 sporting rifles based on the M1 Carbine. These had walnut stocks and with the exception of the detachable magazine they looked like typical hunting rifles. Their rear sight was mounted to the rear of the barrel but there was no upper hand guard and since all of these rifles were clearly marked HOWA on the rear of their receivers, it would be impossible to miss it. Howa also produced around 5,000 copies of the M1 Carbine for use by the Japanese Self Defence Forces. Japanese Arms export laws prohibited any of these rifles to be exported to the United States but a few are known to exist here in private hands. These are more or less straight-up copies of the M1 Carbine so there is nothing unusual about their features.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Neal. It sold for $400.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Toolman286
    Thanks Neal. It sold for $400.

I would think that would have been a very good buy-
  • Options
    allamericangunshopallamericangunshop Member Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK,
    Yes they ( Howa ) did produce some ( a few ) of these . story has it , as stated , they made some for their military ( national police ?)? ,
    Back several years ago a 'used gun' distibutor in Calf. had a batch of apx. 300 of these ( supposed to be the only ones in the US ?)?
    I bought one and it has a home in my safe ???
    So who really knows ?

Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns .............. a.k.a. ........... SKEEZIX ...............
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Athens , Tn

... www.allamericangunshop.com
    ... www.tnhandgunclasses.vpweb.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Skeezix, I'll keep an eye open in case it shows up again.