In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bitterlich & Co. Rifle

jnrthingsnstuffjnrthingsnstuff Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
Any help you can give me would be really appreciated. I recently acquired a flintlock rifle, marked Fr.J Bitterlich & Co. Nashville, TN. I've managed to find some history on the maker. I found a Bitterlich rifle on a different auction site, that was missing a trigger and something else (ramrod, I think). The asking price on that one was $5500. I'm wondering if that is about right? Too high? Too low? Wondering how to price mine. It's in very good condition, not cracks, dings, etc. Thanks so much.

Comments

• Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You most likely have a percussion rifle, not a flintlock. Bitterlich was born in 1820s and arrived in USA from Germany in 1853. He is known mostly for percussion deringers. Here is a researcher's short history:

"The best known gunsmith of the 1860's in Nashville was Franz (later Frank) J Bitterlich. Bitterlich was born in Bohemia in 1829 and according to the 1860 census was a 31-year old resident of Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee, employed as a gunsmith. Bitterlich is best known for his copies of Henry Deringer's pocket pistols, and apparently produced them not only for himself, but for Schneider & Glassick of Memphis as well. What is less well known is that Bitterlich produced a wide range of firearms from derringers to belt pistols to rifles, all of which were well made arms and apparently very desirable at the time. Sometime in 1862 Bitterlich entered into a partnership with a man named Legler, and they remained in business under the name of Bitterlich & Legler until sometime in *1867."

*Bitterlich & Legler were still listed in the 1878 Nashville city directory.

Value of percussion rifles depends on artistic merit and condition, and not on name alone.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If I email some photos, can you tell me a little more about it?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jnrthingsnstuff
    Any help you can give me would be really appreciated. I recently acquired a flintlock rifle, marked Fr.J Bitterlich & Co. Nashville, TN. I've managed to find some history on the maker. I found a Bitterlich rifle on a different auction site, that was missing a trigger and something else (ramrod, I think). The asking price on that one was $5500. I'm wondering if that is about right? Too high? Too low? Wondering how to price mine. It's in very good condition, not cracks, dings, etc. Thanks so much.

Asking prices on the auctions, don't mean squat. Some folks live in a fantasy world, as far as their perceived value of the firearms they are trying to sell.

Link below is to instructions for posting photos on this forum. Many on here are pros as far as values of antique arms are concerned.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

EDIT #1, Although the photos are out of focus, it's a real righteous looking, high quality, flintlock. It's interesting to speculate why he would make a 1820's era flintlock? 30 years later during the 1850's, when they had been obsolete for years?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hrf
    You most likely have a percussion rifle, not a flintlock. Bitterlich was born in 1820s and arrived in USA from Germany in 1853. He is known mostly for percussion deringers. Here is a researcher's short history:

"The best known gunsmith of the 1860's in Nashville was Franz (later Frank) J Bitterlich. Bitterlich was born in Bohemia in 1829 and according to the 1860 census was a 31-year old resident of Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee, employed as a gunsmith. Bitterlich is best known for his copies of Henry Deringer's pocket pistols, and apparently produced them not only for himself, but for Schneider & Glassick of Memphis as well. What is less well known is that Bitterlich produced a wide range of firearms from derringers to belt pistols to rifles, all of which were well made arms and apparently very desirable at the time. Sometime in 1862 Bitterlich entered into a partnership with a man named Legler, and they remained in business under the name of Bitterlich & Legler until sometime in *1867."

*Bitterlich & Legler were still listed in the 1878 Nashville city directory.

Value of percussion rifles depends on artistic merit and condition, and not on name alone.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oops-never used a forum before. The rifle still has flint in the cap, so I assume it is a flintlock. I will attempt to upload some photos, so maybe someone can take a look at it nd give me a rough idea of value? I would appreciate any help.[img][/img]. well, posting photos isn't working yet. I'll keep trying.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can't seem to figure out posting photos. it can't be that difficult!! Anyway, can I email some photos to someone to look at?
  • Options
    MPMP Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Robert, where is it marked Bitterlich? Your pics are too blurred and out of focus to read the name on the lock but it's certainly not Bitterlich.

If the barrel is marked Bitterlich, he or someone else may have rebarreled or refreshed an old flintlock.

Try taking closeups of markings with a camera that has a Macro setting.
  • Options
    MPMP Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Robert, I posted a link to your query on an antique gun forum frequented by some "long rifle" gurus, and got this reply:

http://www.antiqueguns.com/phorum/read.php?6,19858,19867#msg-19867

You might contact nord, and if you get definitive info, post again to satisfy our curiosity.