In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Blackhawk vs Virginian Dragoon

odenthevikingodentheviking Member Posts: 523 ✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
I am looking to transform my Interarms Virginian Dragoon into a simple form of a Bisley. Only from pictures, it seems that the Ruger Blackhawk/Bisley hammer and poss. the grip frames are very close to being interchagable. Has anybody ever tried this?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Which parts are you looking to change?
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dont' know but like bisleys...almost none on now but colt and ruger have bought uberti, dakota and others when they showed up
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I doubt very much that any of the parts: trigger, hammer or grip frame, would be easily interchangable, Ruger to Interarms. Anything is possible, given the time, money and determination but my money says you could likely buy at least two good Ruger Bisleys for what the one conversion would end up costing you. Conservative estimate![:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The main part I was hoping would be interchangeable,(with some fitting), was the hammer. Looking at them they seem very close in design and this part would seem to be the hardest to build up by cutting and attacking to a Va. Drn hammer.
    The Va. Drn trigger is very simple system and may be closer to a original Colt.
    The grip frame/main spring system seems very close,(Ruger to Va. Drn), as well as the back strap/trigger guard is all one unit. So Maybe only the screw holes would need to be filled in and re-drilled.

"but my money says you could likely buy at least two good Ruger Bisleys for what the one conversion would end up costing you." I know what you mean and that is good advice, but I collect the Va. Drn's and it was the cheap manufaturing of the Ruger that drove the Va. Drn out of business in the 1980's. I would not want a Ruger but would not mind robbing some parts to make a custom Va. dragoon!
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might have better luck seeing if Uberti made a Bisley version of any of their SAA clones.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Uberti will not work as a possible interchangable part, they are very much like a Colt/Bisley. Ruger stole Interarms/Va. Dragoon design to make thier hammer, but after looking at many pictures it looks like it may not swap out! So who sells the cheapest Bisley hammer for me to cut and weld onto my Va. Dragoon Hammer?
    Can anyone think of another style hammer close to the Bisley?