In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help identifying this 50 cal barrel

LatethinkerLatethinker Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
Need help identifying this 50 Cal barrel I found at my local scrap yard. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

50CalBarrel1.jpg

Comments

• fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    gun smith special not military
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Finding that in a junkyard isn't a positive, as far as safe useability is concerned.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably a project someone was working on and messed up, why else would it be in the scrap heap? Looks like you have a huge paper weight.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,038 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tomato steak.
    W.D.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4 well machines tent stakes.
  • LatethinkerLatethinker Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the "positive" imput.[:D]

The barrel was with several other pieces that I discovered to be a Holmes design 50 cal someone was working on. The other parts looked like a wanna-be machinist who was learning to weld. I trashed the other parts, but the barrel looks very professionally made. Rifling is clean and barrel is true.
    Just didn't know if it was worth trying to complete the build using a McMillian action, Rem trig and CNC machined stock.

For $15 dollars, I didn't think it was a bad investment.

Thanks,
    Steve
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Latethinker
    Thanks for all the "positive" imput.[:D]

The barrel was with several other pieces that I discovered to be a Holmes design 50 cal someone was working on. The other parts looked like a wanna-be machinist who was learning to weld. I trashed the other parts, but the barrel looks very professionally made. Rifling is clean and barrel is true.
    Just didn't know if it was worth trying to complete the build using a McMillian action, Rem trig and CNC machined stock.

For $15 dollars, I didn't think it was a bad investment.

Thanks,
    Steve

There is a industrial inspection process known as magnafluxing. It reveals microscopic cracks and flaws in metal parts. Dealing with a cartridge like 50 BMG, you might consider doing it to the barrel if you decide to go ahead with the project.