In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Price: 1864 Parkers Snow + Co. Marked U.S.

BigBobBigBob Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
I looking for info on a 1864 Parkers Snow + Co. , Meriden Conn.
Marked U.S. looks like a Falling block or Drop block(?). I can send Pictures. Please E-mail.
Thank You, Bob

Comments

• Options
    Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that what you are trying to describe is the Miller conversion of the Parkers' Snow & Co. Model 1861, 58 caliber muzzle loading musket to use the 58 caliber rim fire cartridge. William H. and George W. Miller contracted with the Meriden Manufacturing Co. of Meriden Connecticut to alter about 2,000 muzzle loading muskets to breech loading useing a system which they had invented. This system used an upward swinging block which fit into a recess milled into the breach end of the barrel. A latch dovetailed into the top of the barrel, when pressed up, allowed the breach block to swing up so that a cartridge could be loaded. The Miller's entered their conversion musket in the rifle trials of 1867. The Miller lost out to the Springfield Trapdoor in caliber .50-70 center fire. Hope that this is of some help to you.
  • Options
    jgillamjgillam Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What would one of these rifles be worth in good+ shape?
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Just looked thru my copy of Satterlee & Gluckman's American Gun Makers...Heres what they had to say about the PARKERS, SNOW & CO.- Meriden, Conn. Civil War contractors of Sept.28, 1863, for 15,000 Model 1861 Springfield rifle muskets at $19.00 EACH...Contract was Fulfilled.
  • Options
    jgillamjgillam Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What would this conversion sell for in todays market in above average condition?
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    There's one on the auction side:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=322823487

You might also check the "closed auctions".
  • Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flaydermans says $1250 in "Fine" condition. The demand for these seems low and many are found in good condition due to the absence of any way to shoot them. Also, the stock is fragile in the action area and many are cracked which greatly lessens value.