In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

German Luger Markings help

DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a Luger that has no date on the top of the receiver. I suspect it to be a refinished commercial model, and not particularly collectable. I'm not concerned about it's value, as I love it, and will not be parting with it.

I would like to know a bit more about it's history, and am hoping y'all might have some insight.

So here are some pics. Most fair quality, except the one of the top toggle. That one, . . . I don't know what happened.[:)]
DSCN0701_zps6bdde714.jpg
DSCN0699_zpsba1d7ced.jpg
DSCN0698_zps3b33cc0a.jpg
DSCN06961_zps612c903c.jpg
DSCN0695_zps91c32baa.jpg
DSCN0694_zpsae52486e.jpg

It shoots like a dream. Likes cheap ammunition. Groups exceptionally well, but a bit left windage wise.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It appears to be a W W I, reworked military Luger. There should be a 4 digit serial number on the front of the frame/receiver, directly underneath the barrel. It would be in the format of 1 to 4 digits and a lower case letter. The Proof Marks on the right hand side of the barrel extension, are the commonly encountered German W W I military type.

As there are no "Crown N" commercial Proof Marks, or "Germany" visible? Difficult to say who assembled and refinished it?

Measure the barrel length. If it was assembled in post W W I Germany. The barrel should be 3 7/8" long. This was one of the provisions, of the Treaty of Versailles. It would be a indication that your Luger is the variation. That is known to collectors as the "1920 Commercial".
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The script on the toggle is "DWM", who probably made the gun. It looks like the barrel is a Numrich replacement.

Neal
  • Options
    DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank You for taking the time to reply. The barrel length is too long to be a Treaty of Versailles gun. The frame, under the barrel, is pictured, (upside down). The only thing there is a lower case "d".

Interesting take on the barrel being a Numerich's replacement. I think the grips are Sarco replacement grips.