In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

37 mm flare gun

metalmaniacmetalmaniac Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited August 2014 in Ask the Experts
Hi all. I'm new to posting here but have been a lurker for a few years. I recently inherited a WW1 Harrington and Richardson 37mm long flare gun with original stock and butt pad. I know it's a H&R by comparing it to ones I've found on the web, but it does not have the H&R stamping on top like the ones I've seen due to it being only #12 serial number. It has all the RAC/RFC marks (it was made for the British) but no import marks. It is in very good or fine original condition except for 2 w or m initials scratched into the stock. I need to find an approximate value or starting point to auction it to pay off some debt and buy school clothes for my kids (it ain't cheap nowadays, lol). I'm hoping someone here can help me or point me in the right direction.I have pics once I figure out how to post them. Thanks for reading this and any help you can give.

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    possible you have a westly richards made unit good shape possible to 500.00 post on the auction side
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here are 2 pics of ok quality. I'll get more if anyone is interested. [img][/img]m8199z.jpg[img][/img]2h8cp6v.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll definately resize the pics next time.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A couple more:
    [img][/img]x1a9zk.jpg
    [img][/img]w6qlco.jpg[img][/img]dq3wqc.jpg
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did a GOOGLE search. One sold on the other auction for over $700.00. It was in better shape than yours, and had the H & R Co. markings. Didn't have the funky butt pad either.

Most likely, Fordsix has it nailed value wise. You might try removing that fugly pad. See if you can get a generic butt plate to replace it. Might help the curb appeal?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your replies. I saw the auction you mention and my gun is in better shape, I just can't get good focus and lighting for some reason. I do know that the ugly butt pad is original and adds value but I guess I need to find someone that knows either H&R history or WW1 flare guns. Maybe I'll get lucky here if enough people see this post this weekend.[;)]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by metalmaniac
    Thanks for your replies. I saw the auction you mention and my gun is in better shape, I just can't get good focus and lighting for some reason. I do know that the ugly butt pad is original and adds value but I guess I need to find someone that knows either H&R history or WW1 flare guns. Maybe I'll get lucky here if enough people see this post this weekend.[;)]

One of our late members, Bill Goforth. Wrote a book covering the history of H & R, prior to his passing."H&R Arms Co 1871-1986 by W.E. Goforth".

It has been published posthumously, just this year. You might consider obtaining a copy. Hopefully it will help you in researching your flare gun.