In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fake 03A4 (Part 2)

nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
This is a photo of the model markings on a genuine 03A4.

1903A4_h.jpg

1903A4_7.jpg

As Mr Builder said, the rifle listed for sale is a fake. The model markings are those of an 03A3, that has been altered. It appears that a SN within the 03A4 range has been added to the right side of the receiver, since the SN for an 03A3 is directly under the scope base.

The tan color junk in the receiver appears to be Lubriplate AA-130, AKA "snowmobile grease", which is still used by some old time shooters.

Neal

EDIT: Some members will recall that we had a discussion of a fake Colt 1911 about 2-3 years ago. (The owner had just bought it from a local auction for several thousand $ as an investment.) She & the auctioneer were sure that it was genuine, but I was able to get her a written statement from the reputable shop manager WHO HAD REFINISHED THE GUN. It's not always that easy. The 1903A4 is an obscure collecting area, & there aren't that many folks familiar with them. I would never expect GB auction management to get into expertizing guns based on out-of-focus photos. If you are going to buy an expensive gun from a seller who posts poor quality photos & whose guaranty is AS IS, you better know what you are doing.

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Given the previous discussion, at BEST what we have here is a repro sniper, that someone disingenuously ground and marked (badly) to make it more in line with known sniper serial ranges; which also has BATF consequences of course. And if it is a USGI receiver that has been remarked, it would at least be safe. My concern is, what if it's a National Ordinance aftermarket receiver (which have had some blow ups) that some turd re-did to try to pass off as a fake?

Scope issues aside, I'd look at that thing and not touch with a ten foot pole. It's a parts gun at this point. Just owning the receiver, if the serial has been ground and re-stamped and not filed with the BATF could I believe land the owner in a lot of hot water.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    I guess no one bothered to show it to Support?
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    I guess no one bothered to show it to Support?

Obviously none of us can say for sure what the others have done privately, but nobody has posted that they reported this in the other thread.

So its safe to assume that nobody has, I think.

Should we be "policing" the boards in this way?

Personally, I don't know anywhere near enough about these particular rifles to even have spotted the fake, let alone be comfortable reporting it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Personally, I don't know anywhere near enough about these particular rifles to even have spotted the fake, let alone be comfortable reporting it.

I am right there with you, but at least one forum member has declared this item to be a fake. If he knows that, and believes that there is a shifty seller on the auctions, he should report it to Support.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some times forum members feel it is "safer" to stay out these things.

A while back, a seller here, {well known} had a Kriegsmarine Ramdon pistol listed.
    It was a out and out fake, and not a very good one at that.

In the forums, after the shameless plug for it, I posted it should be researched because I said those pistols are restamped to increase the value and maybe the listing should be changed.

After about 10 or 12 more postings how good the seller is, I just
    plain called it a "fake".
    My post was deleted.
    That $500 pistol sold for { IIRC ] around $1500.
    From now on, I and many others will just stay out of it.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last I checked, it's at 3,000 and reserve is met. 28 hrs. left. It's apparently going to sell.

There is an outfit that is commercially reproducing A4's on A3 actions. I'm quite sure they are not remarking them, though. I saw a short film clip where a WWII sniper was recently presented with one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Some times forum members feel it is "safer" to stay out these things.

A while back, a seller here, {well known} had a Kriegsmarine Ramdon pistol listed.
    It was a out and out fake, and not a very good one at that.

In the forums, after the shameless plug for it, I posted it should be researched because I said those pistols are restamped to increase the value and maybe the listing should be changed.

After about 10 or 12 more postings how good the seller is, I just
    plain called it a "fake".
    My post was deleted.
    That $500 pistol sold for { IIRC ] around $1500.
    From now on, I and many others will just stay out of it.

Mr. babun, it appears that you didn't understand my post, or maybe I wasn't clear enough. This place, GunBroker forums, is not auction support. Support is found at the "Help" link at the top of each auction page.

If one sees an auction that he believes is fraudulent, he does not have to put anything about it on the forums, and in reality, he should not. What he should do, is send the auction number to Support, and let those guys check it out. They will, and they will NEVER come down on you, or call you stupid. Rather, they will thank you for bringing it to their attention. You may never know what was done, but you can always re-visit the auction to see if it is still there.