In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Experimental Spencer ?

Fazer1Fazer1 Member Posts: 332
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have recently aquired a 3 band Spencer rifle. As I looked at it I noticed that the cartrdge guide was different, it has Springfield Armoury marked barrel, Eagle VP. The bore seemed different and after slugging and chamber cast, it is in 52-46. Though this round was used in post war Spencer sporting rifles, it was originally tested at the Springfield Armoury.

In Roy Marcot's book on Spencers, he has a picture of the cartrige guide as an experimental one. He also talks about the Armoury working on carbines in 52-46, but no mention of rifles.

There is a different 3 4, not aligned, on the butt stock. When I pulled te fore wood there is a 3 stamped on the barrel and action. So could this 3 4 mean, number 3 of 4. It also has the Lane extractor.

Any help or suggestions on what I have appreciated. Thanks

001_zps2e323c0e.jpg

002_zpsa49e638e.jpg

005_zps60d38090.jpg

spcbutt_zps37ec031f.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When Winchester bought Spencer out in the late 1860's, to get rid of a viable competitor. Winchester dumped everything in stock, to get rid of it. Obviously they weren't going to continue production of the Spencer, so they didn't care. Supposedly a lot of the guns were sent to France, who need arms for the Franco Prussian War.

Because of the above. At this late date. No real way of knowing the history of your rifle. Other than it was probably sold by Winchester, as surplus after their acquisition of Spencer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What gets me is the barrel is a Springfielsd barrel, the witness line is correct. The fact that it is Sprinfield barrel and is chambered in 52-46, to mean means it is not a parts gun, it was built that way on a war time action. Also the cartrige was not used on any other military Spencers other than for the tests by Springfield Armoury.

More investigation is needed I guess. Thanks
  • Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 1871 Springfield made abut 1000 muskets out of Spencer carbines but these were all on Burnside made actions, according to the books. These were serial numbered on the side of the barrel to match the original carbine number. This leaves your rifle still a mystery.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:In 1871 Springfield made abut 1000 muskets out of Spencer carbines

Yes I know these. I have one, but they are 2 band and in 52-50.

So keep looking