In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Umarex UZI

Gene248Gene248 Member Posts: 358
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have info on these. My nephew is looking at them and I do not want him to spend his money on junk. I have found where they are made by Walther and Walther used to have a good name. They are also imported by the same company that imports airsoft. Should this be a concern? Any information on these weapons gladly accepted.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There .22 caliber, cosmetic replicas only. Made out of Zinc, die castings. IMHO, it's just conversational piece, novelty. Hanging on the wall of the man cave, is about the only things it's good for. YMMV.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    R-S is right, they are just novelty guns. I wouldn't call them "junk", but they aren't especially accurate, & the trigger pull is not good & can't be improved upon. I'd rather have a quality .22, such as a Ruger Mark or a Browning Buckmark, that will be passed on to future generations.

These replica guns are made by Umarex, not Walther. And, Walther doesn't have a good name when it comes to parts/service support in the US; when the distribution contract expires, you will be on your own.

Having said that, sometimes you just want something. If he can afford it, & understands what it is, it won't be the worst purchase he makes in his lifetime.

Neal
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't for some reason think they are made by Walther. I believe they are made by GSG, in Germany, who makes several other versions of cosmetic copies, as rufe-snow mentions.

Those copies are of HK-MP5, 1911's, Beretta 92's, AR-15's and their clones, AK-47's, S&W M&P-22, Walther P-22, Ruger SR-22, and several other's. There is a big market for a look alike plinker. Some run OK, the other's do not.

Best
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Umarex was a maker of air guns, non-shooting replicas, blank guns.

They bought Walther.

Umarex USA has sold .22 rimfires made by Colt and Walther. They also had a .45 ACP 1911A1.

Reminds me of the name of a condom. Cute, but I would pass on it.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Basically repeating what's above, the guns are made by Umarex, which is a German company.

Umarex (which historically made airguns, tear gas guns, and similar things) bought out Walther entirely about 20 years ago. Walther guns are still manufactured under that name in Germany. Umarex USA, which is Umarex's American subsidiary and importer, also markets guns made by other companies, as well as airsoft guns. Umarex is the manufacturer of some "official" .22 versions of famous maker guns, including the Colt AR15 and 1911 .22s, and others.

German Sports Guns, (GSG), is an entirely different German company. Like Umarex, they also make zinc-alloy frame .22 replica type guns, thought this company is only about 12 years old. The American importer of GSG guns is ATI. GSG makes the SIG-branded .22LR 1911. (Did you get that. . .One German company makes a branded copy for a second German-Swiss company, that itself is a copy of an American design. .the guns are then imported by the American subsidiary of the original German-Swiss co!).

Back on the original question, as to quality of the Umarex guns, Umarex is a respectable German company. They've been making airguns for several decades, they've been making these .22s for at least 5-6 years, and they're partnered with Walther (which has been making real firearms for at least 100 years, including renowned match-grade 22LR guns). So, no, these guns are not what I would call "junk".

On the other hand, these are zinc-alloy framed .22LR guns with simple blowback type actions. They don't share parts or design compatibility with the guns they replicate (IE you're probably not going to be able to throw a real Uzi stock on this thing). They look cool (which is the main point of them) and run OK, though you shouldn't expect either match level accuracy, good triggers, or high durability here.

And no, I wouldn't buy one.

IMO, for the $450 cost of these, you can get a Ruger 10-22 and then trick it out with a nice custom stock or other extras, including kits that will make it externally resemble an AR, AK, etc. I haven't seen an Uzi one, but I have seen Thompson, MP5, Bullpup-type, and other conversions for these. Some of the AR kits in particular are pretty good, effectively letting you stick real AR external parts on there, like stocks, grips, etc.

Fundamentally, the Ruger will be more accurate, and more durable, than the Umarex, with easier availability of parts and accessories. If this kid later wants to upgrade his gun into something a little more "serious" he can do so easily without having to get a new gun.
  • Options
    Gene248Gene248 Member Posts: 358
    edited November -1
    I knew I could depend on you guys for straight forward answers. Just what I was looking for. I will pass it on and Thanks
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    Pass on it... Save a little longer and get a quality .22...