In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stock Checkering

waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
I was thinking about buying this rifle, a Winchester model 310. The rifle it self is in excellent condition 98%+ but the checkering on it is that pressed checkering, BUTT ugly! Has any one ever tried to rechecker a press checkerd stock or seen where it had been done and come out decent?

Comments

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Austrian rifle with a cracked stock. I have been in touch with the factory and am going there to pick up a new stock next week. An exact replacement is no longer available. The replacement is not checkered. Does anyone know of a woodworker that will do custom checkering. Naturally, I will have the old stock to use as a pattern.

Thanks,

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen the Remington negative impressed checkering redone in a book by James Carmichael "Do-It-Yourself Gunsmithing" but the Winchester 310 checkering is positive impressed checkering and it doesn't look as bad as the negative impressed checkering. Since it is positive impressed checkering you could easily use a pointer to bring out the checkering diamond points. That said, I still think it looks pretty good and would just leave it alone and learn to live with it.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Take your time and keep it straight, and it will turn out just fine..
    Lots of that has been done...
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not a high dollar gun IMHO. It's up to you to decide to pay someone to change it or DIY. If you screw it as a DIY, then have router it out and glue a new pieces of checkered wood. Maple inserts in a walnut would be different.

Checkering is tedious work, some folks enjoy doing it. I find it stressful. I found metal checkering by hand a lot more enjoyable and easier to control. There is a reason some people stipple.