In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Red dot sight for Hi Point carbine

JTofSDJTofSD Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
Hello,

I just got a used Hi Point 995 carbine. I am considering a red dot sight for it. What is a serviceable cheap red dot sight that will work?

The carbine has weaver scope mounts on it.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Barska makes cheap red dot sights, so does Simmons. They might even be from the same factory.
    Important thing to look for in a cheap red dot sight is "parallax"*; if you've mounted a cheap red dot sight so that it "aims" at a particular point in space, secure the gun in a steady rest and switch sides of the gun to look down. Does the dot point somewhere else?
    Rotating the cheap red dot sight may help, or really make it point elsewhere worse.

*-probably not the correct term, but if the dot moves when you switch sides or rotate the sight; it may be "parallaxed". Can't wait for some expert to take over the thread to explain it.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JTofSD
    Hello,

I just got a used Hi Point 995 carbine. I am considering a red dot sight for it. What is a serviceable cheap red dot sight that will work?

The carbine has weaver scope mounts on it.

Thanks

I've had good luck with Bushnell TRS-25. It has good dot brightness adjustment, and the batteries last a long time (they supposedly run for four months continuously without needing to be changed). You can sometimes find these new for as little as $75.

My experience with the cheapie Chinese brands like Barska, NCStar, is that the dots are blurry, adjustment is imprecise, batteries drain quickly, and the whole units aren't particularly durable.

IMO, these are fine for a paintball gun or something like that where you don't need high precision or durability, but I wouldn't put one on a real firearm.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I put a tru-glo on mine.
  • Options
    JTofSDJTofSD Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the suggestions.