In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.5 rem mag

MillironMilliron Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
Not real easy to find ammunition for this. Can it be reamed to something more common? Say 264 win mag?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What action is the rifle? Reload for it is a good answer.
    http://www.nosler.com/65-remington-magnum/

Make brass out 7mm Rem Mag or others.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Likely the overall length of the .264 Win. Mag. Will be to long for the internal magazine. That is if your rifle is one of the original Remington Model 600's, or later 660's?.

If your rifle is a 700, it might work?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The rifle is a remington 673 guide gun. Suspected magazine length would be the issue. I am not patient enough to reload.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Milliron
    The rifle is a remington 673 guide gun. Suspected magazine length would be the issue. I am not patient enough to reload.

The difference in overall length between the 6.5 & .264, is on the order of 7/16 of a inch. If the internal mag isn't long enough. I would sell the rifle on the auction. Than buy something that ammo is more available for.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I had pretty much decided the model 673 needed a new home, but was exploring possibilities. Thank you to all for your thoughts
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Milliron,

Well, there is always the possibility of re-barreling it, instead of re-chambering it. With that, the sky is the limit. You can choose your bore diameter, cartridge, and barrel length.

That said, I would think that a 7mm RSAUM, or especially the 7mm WSM, with better ammo/brass availability, would be a great idea with a 24" tube.

If you want a 6.5mm bore there is the possibility of a cartridge designed by GA precision, called the 6.5 SAUM-4S. It has ammunition available from GA Precision, loaded by Copper Creek, if I am not mistaken. It would fit your action nicely, but you might have to set the barrel back a thread or two to clean up the old chamber.

Also, as a last note, reloading/hand loading, can be one of the best therapy's for teaching one patience.

Best

EDIT 1

quote:rebarreling to one of the 7 short magnums will still leave you with hard to find ammo

I disagree with this. The 7mm WSM is very available. You can have it shipped right your door, in most states.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You would need to reload for it anyway. I have the 673 and the 6.5 RM factory ammo is pitifully slow and not very accurate. The action is too short for the .264 WM and reboreing or rebarreling to one of the 7 short magnums will still leave you with hard to find ammo. The best advice you've gotten is to sell it and get a different rifle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well that is certainly a selection of options, none of which jumps out as easy. I expect in the long run I will set it in the corner, and get a 270 or 280. Thanks again for your input and wisdom.