In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smashing Revits.

Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
Any suggestions on the best way to install the revits for my AK build? Has anyone tried the bolt cutter method? Anyother cost effective methods that work well, and are fairly easy? How would a hand reviter work? The barrel revit looks a little difficult, any suggestions? Thanks, the GD side isn't offering much help.

Comments

• Options
    Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry Aspen, when I built my Romy I used screws. Wait until Crizie comes along, I'm sure he can help you out.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've built several useing only screws with no problems. It also allows you to make changes much easier later on. Since you must pull the barrel to install rivets anyway, just go ahead and tap them. I grind the tops of the rivets off, knock them out with a punch, and the holes are the correct size to tap with a 10/32.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can't use screws. I am using the 1.6mm Global Trade receiver. I have heard Red223 say that he only managed to make 2-3 threads on his builds. The thicker receiver would cut down on that number. Also, I already bought the revits.
  • Options
    Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aspen what size tap are would you be using if you were doing a screw build? I used a 10-32, I would think the thicker receiver would allow more threads than what I had on mine. Since you bought the rivets already it makes no difference. I would drop Cruzie27 and KimberKid an email and see what they have to say.

BTW heres a pic of my screw build, prior to me refinishing the wood.

P3080026.jpg

And yes, I know I am missing a screw in that pic as well.
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    A BFH and a round chisel/rivit setter! Soooo Easy!
    BFH= Big Fricking Hammer or a muffler chisel gun if'n you got air.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you stupid or just illiterate? Rivet is the word you are searching for I think.
    The 24" rivet setter is the proper tool for the AK.
    CP
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought a prefabed Rivot Tool (bolt cutter) off of AR15.com for $35 + freight.

I'll IM you the guy's email address.

The website requires you to join to read the threads:

http://www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=123&t=334001&page=1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cpermd
    Are you stupid or just illiterate? Rivet is the word you are searching for I think.
    The 24" rivet setter is the proper tool for the AK.
    CP

I got your email drobs, thanks.

cpermd: *.
  • Options
    cruzie27cruzie27 Member Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well im sure this is too little to late,.. but i got mine from this guy here http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23276

( the 24in.bolt cutter tool) works like a charm,..and will even reach the bottom revit[}:)] on the rear underfolder trunnion,.and the bottom rivet of the Russian & Bulgarian sidefolders that i love.

any of you guys have a question about building ( with rivets ) just drop me a email,.. if i cant answer your question i'll get you in touch with someone who can.

ETA: Global 1.6mm????,... did you get everything shaved down and test fitted?,..how much of a pain in the @$$ was it? i usually stick with the 1.0mm so i dont have to mess with any of that,...but the 1.6 is a beefy reciver for sure.
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill Costick :
    Nice Job ! did you fold (bend) your own receiver , if so how much of a pain was it ??? we are thinking about undertaking one of these projects ... any suggestions ???
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn

p.s. What the hell is a revit??????????????????????