In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45 question

staind460staind460 Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
What does the acp stand for in .45acp?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    i have a custom worked .45.

i have notice that when you drop the slide into battery the hammer does not stay cocked back. it falls to the "half-cocked" postion

what could be the cause of this
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sear and hammer engagement was made with not enough contact. My guess is that somebody tried to get to light of a trigger pull. The angles are critical in maintaining safety as is retaining enough material for them to engage, so either the angles are not right or there was to much material removed. Have a good, qualified gunsmith check it and he might be able to square them, or better yet, replace and fit the parts.

Lance
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may have a too light leaf spring putting insufficient pressure on the disconnector and/or sear. Check the tension, increase it & if the hammer still falls your sear or hammer are at fault.
  • Options
    MadmanMadman Member Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't screw with it. Get a competant gunsmith to install one of Brownell's excellant drop in sets. Or set it up yourself if you choose. Hammer and sear engagement on the 1911 is critical to its safety.

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was shooting bull's eye pistol with a USAR team some 25 years ago we were taught to hold the hammer back when dropping the slide. This was to prevent the hammer dropping as you indicated in the original post on this thread. I am not a gunsmith and don't know which of the suggested causes mentioned above caused the hammer drop but holding the hammer back was a simple solution. There was no problem when firing, just when allowing the slide to go forward manually.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello As Herschel stated if you hold the hammer back it will help on this problem CMP mandates a 4pound trigger and N.R.A. mandates a 3&1/2 pound trigger . You do not want a 1911 to go full auto. everyone has a learning curve on triggers but my advice is either let someone that knows what he is doing do a trigger job or let them teach you the same thing goes for the safety you can't just change parts and assume it will work correctly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the helps gents. i have been hooting it like this for a while. lucky i haven't had an acident yet.

baught a bull barrel for it. guess i will get that checked out at the same time
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kind off topic. But doesnt it seem like just about every other person that drops off their gun to get something special done with it, ends up getting it back messed up. Personally i say if isnt broken dont fix it. Keep your guns to maufactures specs, and the need for these forums would be ziltch.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what happened is the sear hammer connection failed so i have to get it cleaned up
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes , I must agree with most of what was said , have a 'smith' check and fix it ....Contact us if needed ...
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn