In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need a gunsmith

ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have recently purchased a Remington Model 597 .17 HMR. Other than the fact that the .17's have been recalled by Remington, I have heard and read alot of horror stories about these. I was told that a gunsmith can set the head spacing to prevent cases from seperating, and rebuild the the hammer so it will hit the primer area of the case hard enough to prevent misfires. I am looking for someone who is capable of doing this for me. Harlan

Comments

• Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I am looking for a gunsmith that set up a 300 wby to get all of the accuracy possible out of it

I am wanting to put a 26 in Kreiger match grade stainless tube on it and a new stock and a good trigger

I live in central Indiana 46040 zip code but I will ship or deliver it to get it done right. I finally saved the money and convinced my wife that I really needed it. [:D]
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sorry I can't recommend a gunsmith but would like to point out that the high velocities obtained by Weatherby cartridges require some freebore in front of the chamber. For accuracy the bullet should be touching the lands when chambered. I suggest you discuss this with your gunsmith. It would be a shame to spend the kind of money your project will cost and end up with a inherent problem.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    E- mail MRBRUCE.....

He is my friend and gunsmith. None finer none more honest! If it can be done he will do it right or pass on the job.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    ditto to what herschel said. I had a mk-5 come in the shop a couple of years ago that the owner said "extracted hard". it had a new McMillen barrel in .30/378, my supply of .30/378 ammo was pretty slim so I buy a box of factory ammo to test fire the rifle ($80[:0]). Check bolt/chamber/barrel/headspace and every thing is just fine. shoot one shot and the bolt is locked up, hammer it open and the case head expanded so much the primer fell out. check everything again and fire one more round, same result.I called McMillian and gave them the ser. #, it turns out the rifle was set up just like you want (for accuracy, short throat). Result was a rifle that was NOT SAFE with factory ammo[xx(].