In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dies

blurockblurock Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a set of RCBS dies in 40-82.there is a sizer,decapper,and seating die.Are these rare ? Are they worth anything ?
They are in exellent condition.It's marked 40-82 win fl 71.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    blurockblurock Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has any one build their own dies with chamber reamers and die blanks?
    I've had some wildcats built and the commercial dies are really expensive.
    Thanks
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I posted a similar question six months or so back. If you do a search you might find it. I got some very good answers from several folks who had experience. To boil it down yes you can use the chamber reamer to ream out a die, but that won't be workable as is. The problem being that you have to push the brass back to smaller then chamber dimensions. The answer that was give for this was to have the inside surfaces, either full length or neck, thinly plated. Chrome was said to work, as well as a couple of other types that had better lubricatory aspects. Days when I consider building something like a 219 improved wasp I consider doing this, but as of this time I have not. I also got the impression that the professionally made dies were in some ways better and if lots of rounds were to be made then they were the way to go. Mega thumper wildcats would be a shoo in for this kind of die setup. Try the search, there is some very good reading there if you can find it. I wish I could remember what the key words were that I used then. If anyone reading this knows how long threads stay available that number would probably help.....
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    blurock,

This is the discussion that ern98 was trying to remember:

http://forums.forthehunt.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=206213&SearchTerms=Dies

Best.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm undergoing that process right now, and per Troy Newlon ( www.newlonprecision.com )and Dave Manson ( www.mansonreamers.com ), IF your barrel blank is Chrome Moly and your die blank is Stainless, than after reaming and polishing the die will end up being a couple thou smaller than the chamber (due to the difference in the machining properties of the two materials). If a larger difference is needed, or both are SS, than you can have the ID of the sizer die hard chromed to a thickness of .001-.002 per side.
    If you opt for a leaded steel for your die material, than you will need to have a special reamer made.