In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62x39 corrosive?

mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
A friend just pasted away. His wife gave me 1000 rds of 7.62x39 on stripper clips. They are wraped in thin brown paper, 30 to a wrape. there is no box or carton. These are not laquered, I think copper washed. Is there anyway to tell if they are corrosive? There is also 300 rds in white 20 rd boxes. These are Norinco and don't say corrosive or non-corrosive.
Thanks for your answer.

Comments

• Options
    Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just treat them as corrosive...
  • Options
    ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are the late 80's -early 90's imports of the Chi-com Military ammo that is with out question corrosive primed, just clean the gun and all will be fine. The ammo will be steel core. The ammo is most likely 70's mfg.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, probably corrosive. But the SKS and AK were made for it. Clean the weapon after shooting. Wann know for sure? Pull bullet, dump powder. Take a steel plate, scrub until shiny with a brillo pad, dry, load EMPTY cartridge in weapon, snap the cap with muzzle at least 6 inches from plate. Put aside for one day. Check. See rust spattered over your clean plate? Salts from a corrosive primer.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple cases of the ammo you describe, and it is corrosive.
  • Options
    mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.
    mcaso
  • Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're not sure- send them to me to use. They could be Yugoslavian surplus also.