In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Firs time owner suggestions?

NeWcSNeWcS Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
Looking at getting my first handgun. Needs to be semi-auto. Looking at either a 9mm or 40cal. I'm on a tight budget. Only looking to spend between $150-$300 for my first. It will be used as my house gun and to take camping with me. Does anyone have any suggestions for a newbie?

Thank you!!!

-Jay

Comments

• Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best little weapon I have is the Marcov style pistol with adjustable sights, double and single acton, 9x18 and low cost of ammo to fire makes this a nice choice for a beginner.

Save your money and get a nicer piece if you can.

Emmett
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might I suggest a nice used S&W 357 Mag REVOLVER? Trouble free and reliable.. and no need for "Cocked and Locked" while hiking/camping. Better for your price range.

Besides, you get two guns in one... you can shoot 38 specials for "Plinking" and 357s for everything else.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the 357. There are a bunch of nice used ones for good price, now that everyone is lookin for the latest crunchenticker auto. good target weapon, good defense weapon, 38 wadcutter reasonable prive.
  • Options
    NeWcSNeWcS Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think a 357 is a little bit to much gun for me. especially for my first. Also, I really have my heart set on a semi

-Jay
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeWcS
    I think a 357 is a little bit to much gun for me. especially for my first. Also, I really have my heart set on a semi

-Jay

I can't in good conscience advise a first pistol to be a semi auto unless it is a .22. You can fire .38"s in a revolver for training and learning how to shoot. The most fierce recoil from a 125JHP .357 does not kick as much as a full power .40 IMHO.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    i'm not going to tell you that a auto is right or wrong for you , usually a revolver is a better more simpler gun to start off with , but if you have you mind set on a auto , then go for it , just get some training to go with your new gun
    as for guns
    you can't go wrong buy a good used Ruger like the one in this auction
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=76856095

stainless steel slide , double or single action , hammer decocker , price is not bad at all and they even ship it for free and no i don't have any kind of interest in the gun , all i did was a quick search and came up with that one

i have the same gun and it has never fail , it alwasy goes bang when you pull the trigger and if you do your part it puts them right where they need to go
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the MAKs for the money
    Used glock, ruger in 9mm would be my choice. 9mm is much cheaper than 40, and can use +p for defense. These guns are more "shootable than the Maks are
    do not buy some half measure gun that will just be a throwaway POS like hipoint, lorcin, or the other die casts.
    Good advice on the .357 , its really not that much more potent. I like autos also though and If I was on your budget, I would buy a trade-in Glock 17 (9mm)
    It is super functional, never breaks, and even if it did is easy to fix, and in skilled hands can put rounds on target fast!
  • Options
    M.OpaliskiM.Opaliski Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You want a good quilty gun, and you might have to go higher than $300 to get there, especially if you're shopping here.

Glocks are inherently simple, no hammer, no bells and whistles, nothing confusing, just point and shoot.

Try shopping locally, visit a few shops, see what feels good in your hand ... if you have access to a range that rents guns do that too.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glock, HK USP, Springfield XD, and the Ruger auto's are all god for the money. Especially the first two you can find sometimes used, and/or factory reconditioned. They are the most reliable auto's on the market. Keep in mind that sometimes you might get a click when you pull the trigger if the cartrige is a dud. You must then cycle the slide to put in a fresh one. With a good Double Action revolver like Rugeer SP101 or S&W, all you have to do is pull the trigger again. This could be a life saver in a gun fight, or any self defense situation for that matter. Like what has been mentioned before, you can use 38 specials in a 357 also, and they are very mild(especially the target loadings, and economical). You can actually afford to shoot them more frequently, to get familiar with the gun. My suggestion, by all means is to go somewhere where you can try an auto, and a revolver, then you decide.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree that first handgun should be a revolver. S&W Model 10 in 38 special are a great beginner handgun - plently of used guns on the market at fair prices, easy to operate, and a wide range of ammo selection from 100 grain double end wadcutters to 158 grain jacketed hollow point semi wadcutter in +P.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly