In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question on Remington 700's

NNickNNick Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
I am looking into getting a new rifle and am considering the Remington 700. Being a lefty I am some what limited on which models I can have.

My question is should I buy a new one or try to find a gently used older one? Is there an advantage of getting a 700 built 20 years ago vs a new one.

Thanks for the help,

NNick

Comments

• Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too am a lefty and out of 9 or 10 700's I have 3 left hand. It took me quite awhile to find them. The ones I have I wouldn't trade and they were worth the wait. What caliber are you looking for?If you find them they are most commonly found in .270, 30-06 or 7mag. Other than saving money there is not much advantage of getting an older 700 they are all good. Pickings are slim so if you are in a hurry waiting for a used one might not be the way to go.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Older ones are of the same quality level as the new ones. Just back then it took a little more human skill than it does today, where machines can do most of the work. Most people who buy left handed guns keep them as they are left handed. The market will be slim for used ones in other words. I would go get a new one in my favorate caliber if I were in your shoes.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, the older rifles are about the same as the newer in terms of overall quality. The final finish is a bit better on the older ones in my opinion.

I have 4 700's. 3 are lefties in .223, .308 and 30-06.

[img][/img]IMG_0036.jpg