In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ithaca 37R Deluxe?

IschiaIschia Member Posts: 215 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
12 guage Ithaca 37R with deluxe wood & a 28.in vent rib, modified barrel. #782533-4. Glow worm sight. About 90% original condition, no rust or pitting, nice wood with cut checkering. Features a poorly installed Pachmeyer pad (easy fix). When was it made? Value? What does the -4 mean in the serial #? Would the glow worm sight be correct for this gun. I bought it because I have another 12 Ga. vent rib 26.in I.C. barrel with the early threads that fits($10 garage sale item years ago).

Thanks for any info.

SW

Comments

• Options
    ithaca4meithaca4me Member Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was made in 1961. The raybar sight is correct and the 4 means full choke. Value dependent on condition but anywhere upwards of 275.00
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The matching # barrel is marked Mod. Does the -4 still mean full? I got it for $225 so not too bad of a deal. I have another standard 12 guage 37, same vintage without the glow worm sight,just a brass bead. Factory?

SW
  • Options
    ithaca4meithaca4me Member Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is odd Ithaca used a numbering system for the chokes and also put it in abbreviations on some vintages. I can not remeber all the the chokes off the top of my head but 2 was modified and 4 full the two most common chokes easy enough to remember. It was a 1-4 scale. I would be interested to see pictures of the barrel and it's markings. They are beautiful guns and the wood is always very nice on those models. The raybar sight was introduced in 1955 so most guns made after that had them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The standard barrel 37 I referred to has the brass bead sight. #757991-2 and is marked MOD. The "PROOF testED" stamping is closer to the MOD. stamp on this barrel than the 37R. Both guns are close #'s as to vintage. I will try to get some pics out to this topic tomorrow.

SW