In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&R Snake Charmer 410 Shotgun

travis3travis3 Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
What is the value of a Old H&R Snake Charmer 410?

Comments

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    100.00 on a good day.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is the short barreled model Handi Gun. I tried to Google this model and only found one site were it was listed at between 1500.00, to 2500.00?
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can buy brand new .410 Snake Charmers for about $167 just about anywhere. There's no way a H&R .410 would be $1500 unless it were gold plated with diamonds inlaid into the stock[:D]
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,024 ******
    edited November -1
    I think he may be confusing Snake Charmer and Handy Gun.
  • Options
    jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Travis,
    Big difference between the Handy gun, and the snake charmer. The handy gun was made in the 1920's to the mid 30's and yes they can be worth a grand or so. The snake charmer ,about a hundred bucks
    handy gun was a true pistol with I think 8 or 10 " barrel.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    James nailed it- the Handy Gun (not the Handi-Rifle) was made as a .410 PISTOL- 10 inch bbl, and is a Class III (Any Other Weapon) not to be confused with the much later Snake Charmer, which is a shotgun. And yeah, an original Handy Gun THAT HAS BEEN REGISTERED AS A CLASS III and is transferable is worth some money. Unfortunately, many of them were never registered, and now cannot be. So- which one are you asking about?
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience with a .410 snake charmer was very bad. The hammer consistently left light strikes. Maybe the newer ones were better. Mine was so bad it now rests in peace on the muddy bottom of Spring Garden lake. The H& R Handy gun is different cup of tea all together and much better quality firearm. It is a shame most of them are still on the NFA registery. A few Handy guns were made in 32-20 and .22 LR and are now on the C&R list. There is absolutely no logical reason for the .410 H & R Handy gun, the Ithaca Auto-Burglar or the Marble Game Getter to be classified as a Title II firearm. Remember the H & R Handy Gun sold for less than $20 in the early 1930's, who was going to pay $200.00 then to comply with the NFA rules?

Check out the Tarus "judge" and consider the fact that any criminal can make a short barreled single shot shotgun for less than $100. including the price of a high quality hack saw blade! I don't feel any safer knowing that a single shot, short barreled, 410 shotgun remains on the NFA registry.

Edit: The H&R Handy gun is a different animal than the H&R Handi gun or rifle by a lot of years. The Handy gun is a short barrel .410 shotgun with a single piece wooden pistol grip. The receiver has a unique case color type appearance acheived by a graduated dipping process in a cyanide chemical bath.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    H&R made a .410 short barrel single shot called a Tamer and they make one now called a Survivor. This is on the line of the Sporting Arms Snake Charmer .410
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will need to look at this little gun again. I believe it to be the Handi Gun. Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if it has a folding wire stock, its a handi gun.
    if its a thumbhole one piece stock, its a snake charmer.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.