In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shipping rifle

lonnlonn Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
Is it legal to mail a rifle to myself since no transfer will occur? I would like to ship my prairie dog rifles to myself at a WY address of a friend. My retired postmaster shooting buddy says it is legal but I want some more opinions.

Keep Your Powder Dry
NRA Life Member
The only criminal class that is native to the United States is congress.
MARK TWAIN

Comments

• Options
    lonnlonn Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    after selling rifle on GB...do I need to receive a copy of FFL (for my records) from dealer to ship to him. Or if Dealer is registered on GB and displays copy of Lic on GB is that enough?
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Mailed, faxed, or emailed copy of FFL before you ship.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You must have a copy before you ship. Jp
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always understood an individual only needed proof that he was sending to an FFL, the GB records would suffice. Only If you were a dealer you would you need a copy of the other dealer's FFl.
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    An individual is required to know he is shipping to a FFL dealer. The best way to determine this is to get either a copy of FFL license or his name, address, and FFL number. Then go to the ATF website and check to see that the FFL is valid. Be sure to ship only to the address listed on the website or FFL. First you need to know that the FFL will accept a firearm from an individual. Its getting so that a lot of dealers will only accept shipment from another FFL.
  • Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure the FFL is legit too. You can verify this on the ATF website. Also make sure it is "freshly" inked. So I prefer the copy be mailed with payment.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,978 ******
    edited November -1
    41 is correct, go to ffl/ezcheck to be sure.