In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CMP muzzle gage question

Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a CMP muzzle gage. It has a 0 and two marks above it has a 2. I gaged my M1 and it's just before the 0 on the gauge.
Now I know the barrel isn't new and can't gage a 0.
Am I reading this wrong?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That could be correct. You need to tell us what kind of barrel your rifle has; they vary when new. It is not uncommon to find LMR barrels that measure < 0.

If you have a single round of USGI M2 ball, you can use it as a "poor man's" Muzzle Wear gauge inserted point first into the muzzle to verify. A MW=0 would leave about 5/16" of copper jacket showing.

On the other hand, some unscrupulous folks have been known to put a barrel muzzle in a press to give a false low MW reading; examine your muzzle carefully.

Neal
  • Options
    carolinashootercarolinashooter Member Posts: 339 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ckeck to see if there are any burrs on the crown. They will cause a false reading. A lot of these barrels have had the crown re-cut because of cleaning rod damage. There are/were more Garand barrels ruined by improper cleaning than by being worn out by .30 cal. bullets going down them. If your crown is clean use a micrometer to measure your gauge. Most people assume that gauges are always in specification. If gauge checks out reading is correct assuming crown is clean and concentric.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M1 is SA 1942 781xxx. The barrel is SA dated 12-47 a replacement obviously.
    It shoots very well and I finally got around to ordering the muzzle gauge from CMP. It came today.
    As you said I've used the "bullet test" up till now.
  • Options
    walldj45walldj45 Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the cmp gauges are known to read 1 or 2 below actual gauges. i reccomend stone axe gauges. go to odcmp.com then the forums and search gauges stone axe or something related