In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning A5 12ga. - Serial Number question

F250_F250_ Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
Good evening. Being new, if I make some kind of faux pas while interracting here, pelase forgive me and be patient as I learn that particiulars of being in this forum. My only other forum experience in the apst two years is extensive participation in the Ford-trucks.com 7.3L PSD forum.

That said, I have a Browning A5 12 gauge that belonged to my father, and I have several questions about it as I plan to complete my research and then sell/trade it for something different.

The gun itself... Belgium made in early-to-mid-sixties, one spot of scuffing/scratching on the barrell near the end sight on the bottom (bluing completely gone there), plain sight non-vent rib, Stock and forearm have a vrey few minor scratches that I can probably detail back out, and the gun has shot less than a box of shells and always been kept perfectly clean and oiled.

Questions.
1. Is there a way to repair the bluing on the barrel without decreasing the gun's value? If so, I would like to hear more about how to do that or get it done.
2. The date of manufacture is questionable in my mind. There is a "6V" immediately above the serial number of "82764" on the shell slide. Some information I've found says that the "6V" indicates a 1966 manufacture, while the serial number itself indicates a manufacture year of 1960. Which is it?
3. The barrel length... though quoted by my Dad as being 32", my tape measure says 31" from the tip of the barrell to the beginning of the chamber where the shell casing stops. What are the two points for properly measuring the barrell length?
4. What suggestions can you offer me in terms of establishing the gun for obtaining the highest possible value? Are there "grading experts", etc, who can certify the gun in any helpful manner?

Thanks ahead of time for taking the time to answer any or all of my questions.

Pete

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I forgot to mention that the gun is a 3" Magnum.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Pete,
    Your A-5 Magnum was manufactured in 1966, you where looking at the A-5 serial # list, A-5 Magnums are different. The barrel is 32", they didn't make31" barrels, 32"-30" are what was made. DON'T screw with the blueing, a trained eye will spot the cold blue touch up a mile away. IF you have lots of experience, you might do a LITTLE touch up on the stock,if not take it to a certified Browning smith, he'll give you paper work to certify what is done. You can find a Browning smith in your area by going to www.Browning.com Value in the condition you describe, IF YOU don't mess with it should be some where between $775 & $850, according to the 29th Blue Book. Around my neck of the woods, $650 would be more realistic.
    Hope this helps, welcome to the forums.
    W.D.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there is only one person in america that can do a browning to factory specs and that is arts gunshop. art workedfor browning adn has all the old browning tooling to do your stock and gun to 100%.

as mentioned though...keeping it original gives the gun a history and refinishing it sends the famous signal that something was trying to be covered up.[;)]

browning is famous for measuring bbls differently. remember, belgian guns are metric. 30" bbls are usually 29 3/4". 26 are 25 1/2" etc...so indeed your 32" gun can be 31". its normal.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    jagjag Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    also, and i'm no pro on this....the cost of getting the gun "right" all nicely blued etc...will be way more than the increase in value. so what i'm trying to say is, don't put any money into fixing it up if your only trying to gain resale value.....different story if you were keeping dads piece
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Pete,

This may help explain it for you...

From 1958, serial numbers are preceded by the year of manufacture code. In this system, the first numeral is the year of manufacture; the next figure is the model code. An example, 8M is the standard weight made in 1958; 8G is the lightweight model.

MODEL NUMBERS A5
    M--STANDARD WEIGHT
    G--LIGHT WEIGHT
    V--12 GAUGE MAGNUM
    S--SWEET SIXTEEN
    Z--LIGHT 20 GAUGE
    X--20 GAUGE
    X--20 GAUGE MAGNUM

Your gun was the 82,764th one to be serialized in the year 1966 (making it a late year production gun). The 1960 date you came up with for serial number 82764 is for the Superposed O/U model.

Barrel lengths are properly measured from the muzzle face to the face of the breech bolt. Easiest way to measure is drop a cleaning rod down the bore with the action closed (empty chamber of course), and mark and measure at the muzzle.

As for establishing the graded condition (which will determine the potential value), you can post pictures of it on this forum. There are several people here who can give you a relatively close $$$ estimate. The pictures must be well lit and clear. If possible, take them outdoors in natural lighting.
  • Options
    turtles11756turtles11756 Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sell your father's gun ? you'll never get it back . grease it and put it away
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Excellent information, guys! Thank you very much.

Regarding the sentamentality of "selling my father's gun", hunting and shooting were never a real father/son activity in my family. We hunted very little, but fished a whole lot. Therefore, the gun has neither practical use nor sentamental memories associated with it. Same is true for my mid-70's Remington 1100 12ga, vent rib, modified choke, or my H&R 28" single shot 20 ga. from teh early 70's, both of which are in perfect condition.

Given that I spend many hours traveling on business every week, what does have practical value for me is a SA XD45 Service Model inside a hidden vault in my truck's center console, which is what I will end up with after selling all three guns.

What does have sentamental value for me is the hours I get to spend with him every weekend, helping my Mom take care of him while he is losing his fight with cancer. I wouldn't trade those hours for all the Browning A-5's ever produced!

Sorry... didn't mean to get sappy there, but it's simply the reality for how and where things are right now.

Again, thanks for all the valuable input. I will be spending more time here as I get closer to pulling the trigger on my gun sales.... and, yes, the pun WAS intended>